Re: [bolger] Re: Micro's seagoing ability

  • 9buck crowley
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1 8:16 AM
      Thomas,
      I would watch the weather and plan carefully but I would not hesitate to
      take my Micro across the English Channel and I have made the crossing in a
      small boat.

      A Micro by the way has alot of storage space and it's easily accessed. As
      for the cabin it is much roomier than the Chebbacos'. If you do decide to
      build one stick to the design as Phil has drawn it. I have seen a micro on
      the internet built with a cockpit instead of a simple hatch. Don't do this.
      A "normal" cockpit would reduce available storage be more difficult to build
      and make access to the remaining sorage difficult. I really like the
      designed cockpit anyways. I often sail the boat standing up in the hatch or
      sit on the edge facing forward. If I feel the hatch cover needs to be on for
      safety the deck is very secure and comfortable and should the boat getted
      knocked down on its side ( it's never happned to me ) your better off with
      your feet up on the deck if you want to stay in the boat.
      I do have two complaints about the boat however. One is that mine doesn't
      point very high although it could be my sails and two even very small waves
      make for a noisy cabin while at anchor. Other than that I love my boat.
      One more note of caution. Don't build a boat with the idea that it is
      economical. In this country old boats are available for much less than you
      could ever build one of similar size That being said I would still encourage
      you to build your Micro if you have the time and patience to do so..

      Buck

    • mannthree
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1 2:47 PM
        Thomas,

        The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
        careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
        has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
        is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
        lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
        time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
        boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
        waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
        waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
        up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
        20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
        tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
        for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
        people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
        storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
        for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
        its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
        chore (IMHO),

        Cheers,

        John Mann

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
        <largethomassails@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
        > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
        > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
        > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
        > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
        > the Baltic Sea.
        >
        > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
        > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
        > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
        > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
        >
        > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
        > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Thomas

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1 5:11 PM
          <largethomassails@...> wrote:
          > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
          or
          > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it?

          Hi Thomas,

          "Seaworthy"; a big part of the answer will be related to how
          well
          you build her and just how much confidence you have in her to hold
          together when things get rough.Practicing good seamanship, with all
          that entails, like watching your weather etc.... can help alot in
          keeping her seaworthy :-)

          "Seagoing"; define sea :-D....MICRO was not intended to be an
          ocean going vessel but that does not mean she could not handle a bit
          of
          it with a competent skipper and regards to the above note on
          seaworthy.

          I would imagine if one did not get too carried away with the
          bewitching
          nature of a MICRO(large interior volume,self-righting,self-bailing
          and
          darned cute) and kept firmly in mind that she is ONLY 15' 6" long
          then
          one may not come to much harm. Off-shore sailing would also suggest
          not
          skipping the addition of all the foam floatation specified on the
          plans!

          Build her to the best of your abilities,increase the scantlings to
          1/2" plywood,reef earlier then you think and you may well have some
          grand adventures and great happiness when all is said and done.Take
          lots of pictures!

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan,ex owner/builder of the Micro LESTAT,from along the
          shores of the festive St.Lawrence...HAPPY CANADA DAY all you Cannucks
          !!!!!!!......eh!
        • Thomas Schmidt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1 5:39 PM
            All great knowledge-sharers,

            I'm grateful to all the interesting information you're offering, and be
            assured that neither of your advice is touching on inattentive ears!

            @David Graybeal: Thanks for the inspiring quote. And for the
            blessings... :-D
            "When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot
            be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. It ends by
            covering the whole sky, so that you think of nothing else" -- Arthur Rans
            I'll try to always keep an eye on th e glittering surface of the
            water... and I hope that will be what always pushes me along to finish
            the boat and to get it into the water!
            I guess one reason for choosing the Micro (or Long Micro) is the
            following: I am - doubt it or not - 6' 8 3/4'' (2.05 metres) tall.

            @Buck Crowley: Building the hull from 1/2 inch occume seems to be pretty
            heavy, but you say it makes for a strong boat, and Phil approved of it.
            Could you tell me your boat's empty weight?
            In speaking about real cockpits I presume you meant such opening to the aft?

            @John Mann: I guessed from the beginning that she is no race boat... :-D
            I'm not looking for one at this time, otherwise I'd stick to my dream of
            a Minitransat boat. I'm just looking for a nice little boat to get out
            on the water with and which I can use for small cruises over the
            weekend. I don't like to be forced to camp out on the beach every night
            when going out on a dinghy, so I figured some cabin cruiser, also to do
            some serious several-weeks-cruising, as I definitely want to visit
            Scotland and Ireland by boat once. Not sure whether a Micro is good for
            that, but it would be nice...

            @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
            David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
            would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
            Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you modify it?
            Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
            Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site are
            invalid.
            Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D

            Many thanks again to all of you,
            Cheers
            Thomas

            > The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
            > careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
            > has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
            > is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
            > lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
            > time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
            > boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
            > waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
            > waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
            > up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
            > 20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
            > tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
            > for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
            > people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
            > storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
            > for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
            > its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
            > chore (IMHO),
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > John Mann
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "largethomassails"
            > <largethomassails@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
            > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
            > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
            > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
            > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
            > > the Baltic Sea.
            > >
            > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
            > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
            > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
            > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
            > >
            > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
            > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Thomas

            Large Thomas sails on a big blue sea of dreams...

            Haiku, the gonna-be micro cruiser... headroom for a tall man? No, thanks! Space for dreams? Yes, please!

          • Thomas Schmidt
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2 6:36 AM
[...]

              Interesting articles on Duckworks you have on Lestat!

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 3 8:17 PM
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                wrote:
                > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                modify it?
                > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                are
                > invalid.
                > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                >
                > Many thanks again to all of you,
                > Cheers
                > Thomas
                Hi Thomas,

                Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?

                At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)

                HAPPY BOATBUILDING!

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan.......
                Sincerely
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 5 10:23 AM
                  <largethomassails@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                  > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                  similar
                  > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                  project -
                  > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                  currently
                  > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                  > the Baltic Sea.
                  >
                  > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                  or
                  > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                  > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                  don't
                  > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                  >
                  > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                  going
                  > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Thomas

                  Hi Thomas,

                  Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                  might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                  Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                  I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.

                  http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html

                  He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                  is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                  believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                  work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                  handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.

                  His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.

                  Nels
                • Thomas Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 5 12:14 PM
                    Hi Peter,

                    I do very much think I will enjoy the building. There may be hours you
                    mourn your fate and the lightly curse the day the ill luck of finding
                    out about a beautiful boat hit you. But as you instantly fell in love
                    with it and wanted nothing more then to build one like this... you won't
                    give up. At least not me.
                    Because I, too, know the Zen Zone. Just experienced it again today,
                    although in the Zen Lite version, while painting the bottom of a work
                    catamaran with tar epoxy.

                    I found your "articles" at Duckworks, and I love your style of writing,
                    whether it is in those "articles" or in here, at the Bolger group.
                    I see you as a pub-going gentleman-boatbuilder, and a true gentleman indeed!
                    By the way, I guess at least as long as those pictures of Lestat are
                    online your fame will never cease, and I may say we're all looking
                    forward to the turning-out of your Lady Windemere...

                    Best regards,
                    Thomas

                    Peter Lenihan wrote:

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                    > > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                    > > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                    > > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                    > modify it?
                    > > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                    > > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                    > are
                    > > invalid.
                    > > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                    > >
                    > > Many thanks again to all of you,
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Thomas
                    > Hi Thomas,
                    >
                    > Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                    > being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                    > rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                    > It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                    > somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                    > Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                    > nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                    > written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                    > it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?
                    >
                    > At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                    > decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                    > group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                    > for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                    > the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                    > dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                    > longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)
                    >
                    > HAPPY BOATBUILDING!
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Peter Lenihan.......
                    > Sincerely

                  • Thomas Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 5 12:22 PM
                      Hi Nels,
                      Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with Lestat :D
                      I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the Long
                      Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                      especially the headroom?

                      Best regards,
                      Thomas

                      > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                      > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                      > similar
                      > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                      > project -
                      > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                      > currently
                      > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                      > > the Baltic Sea.
                      > >
                      > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                      > or
                      > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                      > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                      > don't
                      > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                      > >
                      > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                      > going
                      > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Thomas
                      > >

                      > Hi Thomas,
                      >
                      > Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                      > might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                      > Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                      > I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.
                      >
                      > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html
                      > <http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html>
                      >
                      > He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                      > is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                      > believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                      > work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                      > handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.
                      >
                      > His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.
                      >
                      > Nels

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 5 4:40 PM
                        wrote:

                        > Hi Nels,
                        > Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with
                        Lestat :D
                        > I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the
                        Long
                        > Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                        > especially the headroom?
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        > Thomas

                        One could get about 5'10' headroom amidships in a LM Navigator and
                        more if one raises the boom position a bit higher for the standard
                        sailplan or converts to the Chinese gaff.

                        I enquired about a Long Micro modification update, but Susanne
                        believes one could simply get enough information by adapting the
                        Micro Navigator plans, which I have. The only challenge is the
                        requirement for a remote tiller location to be able to steer from
                        the pilothouse. Also the Chinese gaff sailplan area may have to be
                        re-calculated for the LM Navigator.

                        Susanne prefers the Long Micro hull over Micro for offshore work.
                        That additional 4 foot of waterline is quite an increase and the
                        added displacement amidships allows it to carry a considerably
                        larger sailplan and a larger motor.

                        There would be nothing "Micro" about a Long Micro Navigator:-) It
                        would be a big surprisingly roomy boat.

                        Incidently the standard Long Micro is pretty close in size to TREKKA
                        which circumnavigated twice and had the record for some time as the
                        smallest boat to do that. The book about the first voyage, in 1955-
                        57 is back in print again. What a great read!

                        http://www.fineedge.com/NAUTICAL%20BOOKS/trekkaforeword.html

                        Amazon also had it on sale for $12.95 USD in softcover.

                        Nels