RE: [bolger] Micro's seagoing ability

  • 9buck crowley
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
      Thomas

      I built my Micro about ten years go. I have have sailed in the Sea of
      Cortez, the San Juan islands of Washington and the coast of New England
      from Boston to Penobscot Bay in Maine and feel very confident in the boat.
      Do a good job of building it and you won't be sorry for your effort.. Build
      your hull from 1/2 inch occume without butt straps however not the 1/4 inch
      fir specfied in the plans. I ran this by Phil and he approved stating that
      the 1/4 inch was specifiedonly for reasons of economy.

      Buck Crowley

      >From: "largethomassails" <largethomassails@...>
      >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [bolger] Micro's seagoing ability
      >Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:15:30 -0000
      >
      >Hi all,
      >
      >I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
      >stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
      >- veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
      >or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
      >being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in L�beck, Germany, at
      >the Baltic Sea.
      >
      >Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
      >"seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
      >don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
      >want to exlusively sail on lakes.
      >
      >So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
      >"out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
      >
      >Cheers
      >Thomas

    • 9buck crowley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1 8:16 AM
        Thomas,
        I would watch the weather and plan carefully but I would not hesitate to
        take my Micro across the English Channel and I have made the crossing in a
        small boat.

        A Micro by the way has alot of storage space and it's easily accessed. As
        for the cabin it is much roomier than the Chebbacos'. If you do decide to
        build one stick to the design as Phil has drawn it. I have seen a micro on
        the internet built with a cockpit instead of a simple hatch. Don't do this.
        A "normal" cockpit would reduce available storage be more difficult to build
        and make access to the remaining sorage difficult. I really like the
        designed cockpit anyways. I often sail the boat standing up in the hatch or
        sit on the edge facing forward. If I feel the hatch cover needs to be on for
        safety the deck is very secure and comfortable and should the boat getted
        knocked down on its side ( it's never happned to me ) your better off with
        your feet up on the deck if you want to stay in the boat.
        I do have two complaints about the boat however. One is that mine doesn't
        point very high although it could be my sails and two even very small waves
        make for a noisy cabin while at anchor. Other than that I love my boat.
        One more note of caution. Don't build a boat with the idea that it is
        economical. In this country old boats are available for much less than you
        could ever build one of similar size That being said I would still encourage
        you to build your Micro if you have the time and patience to do so..

        Buck

      • mannthree
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1 2:47 PM
          Thomas,

          The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
          careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
          has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
          is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
          lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
          time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
          boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
          waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
          waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
          up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
          20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
          tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
          for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
          people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
          storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
          for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
          its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
          chore (IMHO),

          Cheers,

          John Mann

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
          <largethomassails@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
          > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
          > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
          > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
          > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
          > the Baltic Sea.
          >
          > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
          > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
          > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
          > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
          >
          > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
          > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Thomas

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1 5:11 PM
            <largethomassails@...> wrote:
            > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
            or
            > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it?

            Hi Thomas,

            "Seaworthy"; a big part of the answer will be related to how
            well
            you build her and just how much confidence you have in her to hold
            together when things get rough.Practicing good seamanship, with all
            that entails, like watching your weather etc.... can help alot in
            keeping her seaworthy :-)

            "Seagoing"; define sea :-D....MICRO was not intended to be an
            ocean going vessel but that does not mean she could not handle a bit
            of
            it with a competent skipper and regards to the above note on
            seaworthy.

            I would imagine if one did not get too carried away with the
            bewitching
            nature of a MICRO(large interior volume,self-righting,self-bailing
            and
            darned cute) and kept firmly in mind that she is ONLY 15' 6" long
            then
            one may not come to much harm. Off-shore sailing would also suggest
            not
            skipping the addition of all the foam floatation specified on the
            plans!

            Build her to the best of your abilities,increase the scantlings to
            1/2" plywood,reef earlier then you think and you may well have some
            grand adventures and great happiness when all is said and done.Take
            lots of pictures!

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan,ex owner/builder of the Micro LESTAT,from along the
            shores of the festive St.Lawrence...HAPPY CANADA DAY all you Cannucks
            !!!!!!!......eh!
          • Thomas Schmidt
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1 5:39 PM
              All great knowledge-sharers,

              I'm grateful to all the interesting information you're offering, and be
              assured that neither of your advice is touching on inattentive ears!

              @David Graybeal: Thanks for the inspiring quote. And for the
              blessings... :-D
              "When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot
              be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. It ends by
              covering the whole sky, so that you think of nothing else" -- Arthur Rans
              I'll try to always keep an eye on th e glittering surface of the
              water... and I hope that will be what always pushes me along to finish
              the boat and to get it into the water!
              I guess one reason for choosing the Micro (or Long Micro) is the
              following: I am - doubt it or not - 6' 8 3/4'' (2.05 metres) tall.

              @Buck Crowley: Building the hull from 1/2 inch occume seems to be pretty
              heavy, but you say it makes for a strong boat, and Phil approved of it.
              Could you tell me your boat's empty weight?
              In speaking about real cockpits I presume you meant such opening to the aft?

              @John Mann: I guessed from the beginning that she is no race boat... :-D
              I'm not looking for one at this time, otherwise I'd stick to my dream of
              a Minitransat boat. I'm just looking for a nice little boat to get out
              on the water with and which I can use for small cruises over the
              weekend. I don't like to be forced to camp out on the beach every night
              when going out on a dinghy, so I figured some cabin cruiser, also to do
              some serious several-weeks-cruising, as I definitely want to visit
              Scotland and Ireland by boat once. Not sure whether a Micro is good for
              that, but it would be nice...

              @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
              David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
              would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
              Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you modify it?
              Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
              Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site are
              invalid.
              Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D

              Many thanks again to all of you,
              Cheers
              Thomas

              > The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
              > careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
              > has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
              > is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
              > lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
              > time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
              > boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
              > waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
              > waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
              > up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
              > 20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
              > tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
              > for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
              > people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
              > storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
              > for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
              > its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
              > chore (IMHO),
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > John Mann
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "largethomassails"
              > <largethomassails@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
              > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
              > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
              > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
              > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
              > > the Baltic Sea.
              > >
              > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
              > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
              > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
              > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
              > >
              > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
              > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Thomas

              Large Thomas sails on a big blue sea of dreams...

              Haiku, the gonna-be micro cruiser... headroom for a tall man? No, thanks! Space for dreams? Yes, please!

            • Thomas Schmidt
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2 6:36 AM
[...]

                Interesting articles on Duckworks you have on Lestat!

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 3 8:17 PM
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                  wrote:
                  > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                  > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                  > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                  > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                  modify it?
                  > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                  > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                  are
                  > invalid.
                  > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                  >
                  > Many thanks again to all of you,
                  > Cheers
                  > Thomas
                  Hi Thomas,

                  Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                  being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                  rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                  It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                  somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                  Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                  nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                  written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                  it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?

                  At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                  decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                  group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                  for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                  the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                  dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                  longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)

                  HAPPY BOATBUILDING!

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan.......
                  Sincerely
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 5 10:23 AM
                    <largethomassails@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                    > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                    similar
                    > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                    project -
                    > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                    currently
                    > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                    > the Baltic Sea.
                    >
                    > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                    or
                    > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                    > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                    don't
                    > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                    >
                    > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                    going
                    > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Thomas

                    Hi Thomas,

                    Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                    might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                    Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                    I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.

                    http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html

                    He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                    is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                    believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                    work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                    handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.

                    His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.

                    Nels
                  • Thomas Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 5 12:14 PM
                      Hi Peter,

                      I do very much think I will enjoy the building. There may be hours you
                      mourn your fate and the lightly curse the day the ill luck of finding
                      out about a beautiful boat hit you. But as you instantly fell in love
                      with it and wanted nothing more then to build one like this... you won't
                      give up. At least not me.
                      Because I, too, know the Zen Zone. Just experienced it again today,
                      although in the Zen Lite version, while painting the bottom of a work
                      catamaran with tar epoxy.

                      I found your "articles" at Duckworks, and I love your style of writing,
                      whether it is in those "articles" or in here, at the Bolger group.
                      I see you as a pub-going gentleman-boatbuilder, and a true gentleman indeed!
                      By the way, I guess at least as long as those pictures of Lestat are
                      online your fame will never cease, and I may say we're all looking
                      forward to the turning-out of your Lady Windemere...

                      Best regards,
                      Thomas

                      Peter Lenihan wrote:

                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                      > > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                      > > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                      > > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                      > modify it?
                      > > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                      > > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                      > are
                      > > invalid.
                      > > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                      > >
                      > > Many thanks again to all of you,
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Thomas
                      > Hi Thomas,
                      >
                      > Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                      > being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                      > rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                      > It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                      > somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                      > Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                      > nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                      > written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                      > it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?
                      >
                      > At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                      > decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                      > group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                      > for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                      > the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                      > dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                      > longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)
                      >
                      > HAPPY BOATBUILDING!
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Peter Lenihan.......
                      > Sincerely

                    • Thomas Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 5 12:22 PM
                        Hi Nels,
                        Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with Lestat :D
                        I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the Long
                        Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                        especially the headroom?

                        Best regards,
                        Thomas

                        > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                        > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                        > similar
                        > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                        > project -
                        > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                        > currently
                        > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                        > > the Baltic Sea.
                        > >
                        > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                        > or
                        > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                        > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                        > don't
                        > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                        > >
                        > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                        > going
                        > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Thomas
                        > >

                        > Hi Thomas,
                        >
                        > Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                        > might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                        > Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                        > I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.
                        >
                        > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html
                        > <http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html>
                        >
                        > He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                        > is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                        > believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                        > work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                        > handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.
                        >
                        > His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.
                        >
                        > Nels

                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 5 4:40 PM
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Nels,
                          > Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with
                          Lestat :D
                          > I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the
                          Long
                          > Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                          > especially the headroom?
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          > Thomas

                          One could get about 5'10' headroom amidships in a LM Navigator and
                          more if one raises the boom position a bit higher for the standard
                          sailplan or converts to the Chinese gaff.

                          I enquired about a Long Micro modification update, but Susanne
                          believes one could simply get enough information by adapting the
                          Micro Navigator plans, which I have. The only challenge is the
                          requirement for a remote tiller location to be able to steer from
                          the pilothouse. Also the Chinese gaff sailplan area may have to be
                          re-calculated for the LM Navigator.

                          Susanne prefers the Long Micro hull over Micro for offshore work.
                          That additional 4 foot of waterline is quite an increase and the
                          added displacement amidships allows it to carry a considerably
                          larger sailplan and a larger motor.

                          There would be nothing "Micro" about a Long Micro Navigator:-) It
                          would be a big surprisingly roomy boat.

                          Incidently the standard Long Micro is pretty close in size to TREKKA
                          which circumnavigated twice and had the record for some time as the
                          smallest boat to do that. The book about the first voyage, in 1955-
                          57 is back in print again. What a great read!

                          http://www.fineedge.com/NAUTICAL%20BOOKS/trekkaforeword.html

                          Amazon also had it on sale for $12.95 USD in softcover.

                          Nels