Micro's seagoing ability

  • largethomassails
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
      stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
      - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
      or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
      being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
      the Baltic Sea.

      Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
      "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
      don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
      want to exlusively sail on lakes.

      So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
      "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.

      Cheers
      Thomas
    • Philip Ridenauer

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 29, 2006
          > I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
          > - veeeery - small cruising boat.

          The Micro can be seaworthy for coastal cruising. Bear in mind that
          the very short waterline means an associated slow speed which can be a
          hazard if you are trying to travel against a current. The similar,
          but longer, Jessie Cooper was cruised extensively up and down your
          water by Bob and Sheila Wise.
        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 29, 2006
            Hi Thomas

            Let me say up front that I am biased -- I sail a Chebacco.

            There is a Micro sailor in Australia who has done some lengthy ocean
            trips, I forget his name but someone will surely supply it. I've
            only seen one Micro myself, and while I was impressed by the amount
            of space inside, the owner said it was not a great performer to
            windward, and he used the engine a lot in those circumstances.

            I have cruised my Chebacco for up to 12 days alone and a week with
            two aboard (that's all the time I had, I would happily have carried
            on for more). It performs well on all points of sail (in my
            opinion, of course) and is certainly seaworthy for coastal sailing.
            I've crossed up to 30 miles of open water several times, although I
            try to pick good weather for this. I would think the Baltic would
            be a perfect cruising area for a boat like the Chebacco.

            That's enough sales talk, I'll let the Micro sailors have a turn.
            But take a look at Richard Spelling's www.chebacco.com for building
            and sailing stories from lots of Chebacco owners.

            Jamie Orr
            Chebacco Wayward Lass

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
            <largethomassails@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
            > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
            similar
            > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
            project -
            > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
            currently
            > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
            > the Baltic Sea.
            >
            > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
            or
            > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
            > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
            don't
            > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
            >
            > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
            going
            > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Thomas

          • Greg Flemming
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
              Indeed Jamie & Thomas!

              Roger Keyes' Micro Paloma Blanca, which he has sailed in South
              Australian waters from the mainland to Kangaroo Island a few times
              and across the Gulf of St Vicent, as well.

              There is an article on one of his cruises in the Bolger Overflow
              Group 7 in the files section under a file entitled Paloma Blanca

              The Baltic, however, should be fine sailing for a Micro, I should
              think.

              Greg F

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Orr" <jas_orr@...> wrote:

              > Hi Thomas
              >
              > Let me say up front that I am biased -- I sail a Chebacco.
              >
              > There is a Micro sailor in Australia who has done some lengthy
              ocean
              > trips, I forget his name but someone will surely supply it. I've
              > only seen one Micro myself, and while I was impressed by the amount
              > of space inside, the owner said it was not a great performer to
              > windward, and he used the engine a lot in those circumstances.
              >
              > I have cruised my Chebacco for up to 12 days alone and a week with
              > two aboard (that's all the time I had, I would happily have carried
              > on for more). It performs well on all points of sail (in my
              > opinion, of course) and is certainly seaworthy for coastal sailing.
              > I've crossed up to 30 miles of open water several times, although I
              > try to pick good weather for this. I would think the Baltic would
              > be a perfect cruising area for a boat like the Chebacco.
              >
              > That's enough sales talk, I'll let the Micro sailors have a turn.
              > But take a look at Richard Spelling's www.chebacco.com for building
              > and sailing stories from lots of Chebacco owners.
              >
              > Jamie Orr
              > Chebacco Wayward Lass
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
              > <largethomassails@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
              > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
              > similar
              > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
              > project -
              > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
              > currently
              > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany,
              at
              > > the Baltic Sea.
              > >
              > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the
              design "seagoing"
              > or
              > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
              > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
              > don't
              > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
              > >
              > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
              > going
              > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Thomas

            • Thomas Schmidt
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
                Thanks Greg, Jamie and Bruce!

                In fact I was told (by Paul T. Hobber, if anyone knows him) to rather
                build the Chebacco, but I'm determined to take the Micro, as it really
                looks like fun and space (which the Chebacco has all the more, but...)
                AND because I think it will be way faster to build and cheaper... The
                price of building the boat would be one of the central reasons, along
                with the simple fact that I love the looks of the Micro.

                So do you think it could withstand some more "open sea"-like crossing
                like the English Channel in good conditions?

                @Philip Ridenauer: The microcruising group you mentioned... is it this
                or that one:

                Regards

              • David
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
                  Thomas,

                  Bless your cotton socks! You're probably the first person I've heard
                  say, "I love the looks of the Micro". To me she's a beacon of
                  practical engineering genius... but not a beauty at all. She kindles
                  no spark in my soul. Now the Long Micro with the Navigator pilothouse
                  add-on... that I could maybe get exciterd about! I also love the looks
                  of the Chebaccos. They, however, are gonna be a bit more work to
                  build, and not nearly as roomy inside.

                  Everyone's taste is their own, and if you really like a boat, that
                  goes a long way toward motivating you to get it done - on those long
                  stretches where a boat projects seems to be losing ground to the
                  movement of a snail... or a glacier. It also keeps you jazzed when
                  it's time to fix something, or repaint, or even take the time to hook
                  it up, and launch it. Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep coming back
                  with questions. There are some very knowledgable Bolger buffs here,
                  and some very experienced boatbuilders. There are also some mouthy,
                  opinionated sorts (take a bow, David), who might offer up a nugget on
                  occasion.

                  Cheers,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR

                  "When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot
                  be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. It ends
                  by covering the whole sky, so that you think of nothing else" --
                  Arthur Ransome

                  ******************

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks Greg, Jamie and Bruce!
                  >
                  > In fact I was told (by Paul T. Hobber, if anyone knows him) to rather
                  > build the Chebacco, but I'm determined to take the Micro, as it really
                  > looks like fun and space (which the Chebacco has all the more, but...)
                  > AND because I think it will be way faster to build and cheaper... The
                  > price of building the boat would be one of the central reasons, along
                  > with the simple fact that I love the looks of the Micro.
                  >
                  > So do you think it could withstand some more "open sea"-like crossing
                  > like the English Channel in good conditions?
                  >
                  > @Philip Ridenauer: The microcruising group you mentioned... is it this
                  > or that one:
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Thomas

                  28.06.2006

                  > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier
                  anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de

                • Philip Ridenauer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
                    I was referring to http://microcruising@yahoogroups.com since they focus on the "veeery" small aspect.

> [...]

                    > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                    > similar
                    > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                    > project -
                    > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                    > currently
                    > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                    > > the Baltic Sea.
                    > >
                    > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                    > or
                    > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                    > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                    > don't
                    > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                    > >
                    > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                    > going
                    > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.

                  • 9buck crowley
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 30, 2006
                      Thomas

                      I built my Micro about ten years go. I have have sailed in the Sea of
                      Cortez, the San Juan islands of Washington and the coast of New England
                      from Boston to Penobscot Bay in Maine and feel very confident in the boat.
                      Do a good job of building it and you won't be sorry for your effort.. Build
                      your hull from 1/2 inch occume without butt straps however not the 1/4 inch
                      fir specfied in the plans. I ran this by Phil and he approved stating that
                      the 1/4 inch was specifiedonly for reasons of economy.

                      Buck Crowley

                      >From: "largethomassails" <largethomassails@...>
                      >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [bolger] Micro's seagoing ability
                      >Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:15:30 -0000
                      >
                      >Hi all,
                      >
                      >I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                      >stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
                      >- veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
                      >or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
                      >being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in L�beck, Germany, at
                      >the Baltic Sea.
                      >
                      >Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
                      >"seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                      >don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
                      >want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                      >
                      >So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
                      >"out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                      >
                      >Cheers
                      >Thomas

                    • 9buck crowley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
                        Thomas,
                        I would watch the weather and plan carefully but I would not hesitate to
                        take my Micro across the English Channel and I have made the crossing in a
                        small boat.

                        A Micro by the way has alot of storage space and it's easily accessed. As
                        for the cabin it is much roomier than the Chebbacos'. If you do decide to
                        build one stick to the design as Phil has drawn it. I have seen a micro on
                        the internet built with a cockpit instead of a simple hatch. Don't do this.
                        A "normal" cockpit would reduce available storage be more difficult to build
                        and make access to the remaining sorage difficult. I really like the
                        designed cockpit anyways. I often sail the boat standing up in the hatch or
                        sit on the edge facing forward. If I feel the hatch cover needs to be on for
                        safety the deck is very secure and comfortable and should the boat getted
                        knocked down on its side ( it's never happned to me ) your better off with
                        your feet up on the deck if you want to stay in the boat.
                        I do have two complaints about the boat however. One is that mine doesn't
                        point very high although it could be my sails and two even very small waves
                        make for a noisy cabin while at anchor. Other than that I love my boat.
                        One more note of caution. Don't build a boat with the idea that it is
                        economical. In this country old boats are available for much less than you
                        could ever build one of similar size That being said I would still encourage
                        you to build your Micro if you have the time and patience to do so..

                        Buck

                      • mannthree
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
                          Thomas,

                          The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
                          careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
                          has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
                          is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
                          lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
                          time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
                          boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
                          waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
                          waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
                          up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
                          20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
                          tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
                          for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
                          people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
                          storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
                          for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
                          its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
                          chore (IMHO),

                          Cheers,

                          John Mann

                          <largethomassails@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                          > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
                          > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
                          > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
                          > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                          > the Baltic Sea.
                          >
                          > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
                          > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                          > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
                          > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                          >
                          > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
                          > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Thomas

                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
                            <largethomassails@...> wrote:
                            > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                            or
                            > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it?

                            Hi Thomas,

                            "Seaworthy"; a big part of the answer will be related to how
                            well
                            you build her and just how much confidence you have in her to hold
                            together when things get rough.Practicing good seamanship, with all
                            that entails, like watching your weather etc.... can help alot in
                            keeping her seaworthy :-)

                            "Seagoing"; define sea :-D....MICRO was not intended to be an
                            ocean going vessel but that does not mean she could not handle a bit
                            of
                            it with a competent skipper and regards to the above note on
                            seaworthy.

                            I would imagine if one did not get too carried away with the
                            bewitching
                            nature of a MICRO(large interior volume,self-righting,self-bailing
                            and
                            darned cute) and kept firmly in mind that she is ONLY 15' 6" long
                            then
                            one may not come to much harm. Off-shore sailing would also suggest
                            not
                            skipping the addition of all the foam floatation specified on the
                            plans!

                            Build her to the best of your abilities,increase the scantlings to
                            1/2" plywood,reef earlier then you think and you may well have some
                            grand adventures and great happiness when all is said and done.Take
                            lots of pictures!

                            Sincerely,

                            Peter Lenihan,ex owner/builder of the Micro LESTAT,from along the
                            shores of the festive St.Lawrence...HAPPY CANADA DAY all you Cannucks
                            !!!!!!!......eh!
                          • Thomas Schmidt
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
                              All great knowledge-sharers,

                              I'm grateful to all the interesting information you're offering, and be
                              assured that neither of your advice is touching on inattentive ears!

                              @David Graybeal: Thanks for the inspiring quote. And for the
                              blessings... :-D
                              "When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot
                              be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. It ends by
                              covering the whole sky, so that you think of nothing else" -- Arthur Rans
                              I'll try to always keep an eye on th e glittering surface of the
                              water... and I hope that will be what always pushes me along to finish
                              the boat and to get it into the water!
                              I guess one reason for choosing the Micro (or Long Micro) is the
                              following: I am - doubt it or not - 6' 8 3/4'' (2.05 metres) tall.

                              @Buck Crowley: Building the hull from 1/2 inch occume seems to be pretty
                              heavy, but you say it makes for a strong boat, and Phil approved of it.
                              Could you tell me your boat's empty weight?
                              In speaking about real cockpits I presume you meant such opening to the aft?

                              @John Mann: I guessed from the beginning that she is no race boat... :-D
                              I'm not looking for one at this time, otherwise I'd stick to my dream of
                              a Minitransat boat. I'm just looking for a nice little boat to get out
                              on the water with and which I can use for small cruises over the
                              weekend. I don't like to be forced to camp out on the beach every night
                              when going out on a dinghy, so I figured some cabin cruiser, also to do
                              some serious several-weeks-cruising, as I definitely want to visit
                              Scotland and Ireland by boat once. Not sure whether a Micro is good for
                              that, but it would be nice...

                              @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                              David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                              would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                              Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you modify it?
                              Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                              Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site are
                              invalid.
                              Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D

                              Many thanks again to all of you,
                              Cheers
                              Thomas

                              > The Micro is a great boat for coastal cruising given that you keep a
                              > careful eye on the weather. She is self righting and self bailing,
                              > has a great volume that can be fitted out as the owner desires. There
                              > is nothing complicated about the building process except maybe the
                              > lead keel, but this can be outsourced to a foundry. It took me a long
                              > time to understand that the Micro is cruiser/daysailer, not a racing
                              > boat. She is a heavy displacement high volume design and of short
                              > waterline length, so she wont bolt along. In light winds and choppy
                              > waters she will plonk around like a cork. However when the wind picks
                              > up she comes into her own and will scream along (with sail reefed) in
                              > 20 - 25 knots reasonably comfortably. The rig is relatively "low
                              > tech" and care needs to be taken to get the best sail shape possible
                              > for all conditions to ensure she gives optimum performance. Two
                              > people would cruise very comfortably in a Micro given her capacity for
                              > storing provisions. I keep my Micro on a mooring and which is ideal
                              > for impulse sailing. Given her volume, weight and the mast length and
                              > its weight I would think that sailing regularly would be a bit of a
                              > chore (IMHO),
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > John Mann
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > "largethomassails"
                              > <largethomassails@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi all,
                              > >
                              > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                              > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a similar
                              > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building project -
                              > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm currently
                              > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                              > > the Baltic Sea.
                              > >
                              > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing" or
                              > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                              > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I don't
                              > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                              > >
                              > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on going
                              > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers
                              > > Thomas

                              Large Thomas sails on a big blue sea of dreams...

                              Haiku, the gonna-be micro cruiser... headroom for a tall man? No, thanks! Space for dreams? Yes, please!

                            • Thomas Schmidt
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 2, 2006
[...]

                                Interesting articles on Duckworks you have on Lestat!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
                                  wrote:
                                  > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                                  > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                                  > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                                  > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                                  modify it?
                                  > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                                  > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                                  are
                                  > invalid.
                                  > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                                  >
                                  > Many thanks again to all of you,
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Thomas
                                  Hi Thomas,

                                  Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                                  being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                                  rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                                  It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                                  somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                                  Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                                  nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                                  written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                                  it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?

                                  At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                                  decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                                  group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                                  for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                                  the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                                  dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                                  longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)

                                  HAPPY BOATBUILDING!

                                  Sincerely,

                                  Peter Lenihan.......
                                  Sincerely
                                • Nels
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    <largethomassails@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi all,
                                    >
                                    > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                                    > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                                    similar
                                    > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                                    project -
                                    > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                                    currently
                                    > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                                    > the Baltic Sea.
                                    >
                                    > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                                    or
                                    > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                                    > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                                    don't
                                    > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                                    >
                                    > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                                    going
                                    > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    > Thomas

                                    Hi Thomas,

                                    Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                                    might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                                    Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                                    I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.

                                    http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html

                                    He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                                    is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                                    believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                                    work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                                    handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.

                                    His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.

                                    Nels
                                  • Thomas Schmidt
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                      Hi Peter,

                                      I do very much think I will enjoy the building. There may be hours you
                                      mourn your fate and the lightly curse the day the ill luck of finding
                                      out about a beautiful boat hit you. But as you instantly fell in love
                                      with it and wanted nothing more then to build one like this... you won't
                                      give up. At least not me.
                                      Because I, too, know the Zen Zone. Just experienced it again today,
                                      although in the Zen Lite version, while painting the bottom of a work
                                      catamaran with tar epoxy.

                                      I found your "articles" at Duckworks, and I love your style of writing,
                                      whether it is in those "articles" or in here, at the Bolger group.
                                      I see you as a pub-going gentleman-boatbuilder, and a true gentleman indeed!
                                      By the way, I guess at least as long as those pictures of Lestat are
                                      online your fame will never cease, and I may say we're all looking
                                      forward to the turning-out of your Lady Windemere...

                                      Best regards,
                                      Thomas

                                      Peter Lenihan wrote:

                                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
                                      > > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
                                      > > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
                                      > > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
                                      > modify it?
                                      > > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
                                      > > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
                                      > are
                                      > > invalid.
                                      > > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
                                      > >
                                      > > Many thanks again to all of you,
                                      > > Cheers
                                      > > Thomas
                                      > Hi Thomas,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
                                      > being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
                                      > rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
                                      > It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
                                      > somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
                                      > Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
                                      > nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
                                      > written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
                                      > it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?
                                      >
                                      > At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
                                      > decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
                                      > group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
                                      > for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
                                      > the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
                                      > dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
                                      > longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)
                                      >
                                      > HAPPY BOATBUILDING!
                                      >
                                      > Sincerely,
                                      >
                                      > Peter Lenihan.......
                                      > Sincerely

                                    • Thomas Schmidt
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                        Hi Nels,
                                        Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with Lestat :D
                                        I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the Long
                                        Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                                        especially the headroom?

                                        Best regards,
                                        Thomas

                                        > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
                                        > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
                                        > similar
                                        > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
                                        > project -
                                        > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
                                        > currently
                                        > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
                                        > > the Baltic Sea.
                                        > >
                                        > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
                                        > or
                                        > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
                                        > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
                                        > don't
                                        > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
                                        > >
                                        > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
                                        > going
                                        > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
                                        > >
                                        > > Cheers
                                        > > Thomas
                                        > >

                                        > Hi Thomas,
                                        >
                                        > Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
                                        > might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
                                        > Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
                                        > I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.
                                        >
                                        > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html
                                        > <http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html>
                                        >
                                        > He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
                                        > is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
                                        > believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
                                        > work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
                                        > handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.
                                        >
                                        > His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.
                                        >
                                        > Nels

                                      • Nels
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi Nels,
                                          > Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with
                                          Lestat :D
                                          > I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the
                                          Long
                                          > Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                                          > especially the headroom?
                                          >
                                          > Best regards,
                                          > Thomas

                                          One could get about 5'10' headroom amidships in a LM Navigator and
                                          more if one raises the boom position a bit higher for the standard
                                          sailplan or converts to the Chinese gaff.

                                          I enquired about a Long Micro modification update, but Susanne
                                          believes one could simply get enough information by adapting the
                                          Micro Navigator plans, which I have. The only challenge is the
                                          requirement for a remote tiller location to be able to steer from
                                          the pilothouse. Also the Chinese gaff sailplan area may have to be
                                          re-calculated for the LM Navigator.

                                          Susanne prefers the Long Micro hull over Micro for offshore work.
                                          That additional 4 foot of waterline is quite an increase and the
                                          added displacement amidships allows it to carry a considerably
                                          larger sailplan and a larger motor.

                                          There would be nothing "Micro" about a Long Micro Navigator:-) It
                                          would be a big surprisingly roomy boat.

                                          Incidently the standard Long Micro is pretty close in size to TREKKA
                                          which circumnavigated twice and had the record for some time as the
                                          smallest boat to do that. The book about the first voyage, in 1955-
                                          57 is back in print again. What a great read!

                                          http://www.fineedge.com/NAUTICAL%20BOOKS/trekkaforeword.html

                                          Amazon also had it on sale for $12.95 USD in softcover.

                                          Nels