Re: [bolger] Re: OT: Honda "Power Thrust" Outboards - Bolger Recommends Yamaha

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 24, 2006
      I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite often I was going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set just below full but that was full.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
        >I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not >seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite >often I was going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set just >below full but that was full.

        "In this latest study, J.D. Power and Associates ranked Yamaha “Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Two-Stroke Outboards.” In last year’s study, Yamaha’s four-stroke outboards were awarded, and the year before that both Yamaha’s two- and four-strokes were ranked highest. "

      • Jamie Orr
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
          For what it's worth, my experience with my Honda four stroke has
          been very good. It's a 1985 5hp model, weighs 60 pounds dry
          according to the book -- on the heavy side, but only by 10 or 15
          pounds, I think. More importantly, though, it is very reliable. It
          starts on the first pull, even after sitting unused all winter. It
          took me a little while to figure out the amount of choke to use when
          it's been running and is about half-cooled, but now I can start it
          first pull then too.

          I had to replace the plastic (nylon?) gear wheel on the starter, but
          other than that I've done nothing to it.

          The newer 5 hp engines appear identical to mine, but do appear to be
          a little quieter. The paint job, of course, is different.

          If I was going to buy new, I would probably buy another Honda, but
          the final decision would depend on the dealer as much as the engine -
          - whether he's someone I want to keep dealing with. I would
          definitely get a four stroke again.

          Jamie Orr

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...>
          wrote:

          > >I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found
          it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not >seem to be full variable
          speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite >often I was
          going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set
          just >below full but that was full.

          > "In this latest study, J.D. Power and Associates ranked Yamaha
          “Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Two-Stroke Outboards.” In
          last year’s study, Yamaha’s four-stroke outboards were awarded,
          and the year before that both Yamaha’s two- and four-strokes were
          ranked highest. "

        • Greg Flemming
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
            Speaking of the Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke, we have one (long shaft, a bit
            too long!) but! that motor is very impressive ; starts every time,
            runs very smoothly and no problems at all with the trottle response.
            Refined, you might say.

            Shame it's a long shaft, but Yamahas have gone up in my estimation
            after having this motor.

            Greg F

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:

            > I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the
            throttle did not seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a
            slow, medium and fast. Quite often I was going flat out without
            realising it, because I had the throttle set just below full but that
            was full.

            > Mike

            Recommends Yamaha

            > I know Bolger recommends a Yamaha 4 stroke for the Windermere
            Trawler - what does he recommend a Hondas?

          • Davis, William S.
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 26, 2006
              I had been considering between the Honda and Yamaha, in a small 4 stroke
              unit, it looks like this incident will close this deal for me. I had
              used the Yamaha before and had been really happy with it, so it only
              took a nudge. I really hate the deception they are attempting.

              William S. Davis
              Assistant Director Physical Plant, Utilities
              The University of Oklahoma
              (405)325-3780
              (405)325-5462 fax
              sdavis@... <mailto:sdavis@...>