Re: OT: Honda "Power Thrust" Outboards - UPDATE

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 24, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Anthony aka Magsman <magsman999@...>
      wrote:

      > Excellent advice!
      >
      > I was considering a 2hp Honda-4 for my dinghy, but I won't now on
      principal.

      > Tony.

      I talked to a fellow awhile ago who has a Honda 9.9 4-stroke and he
      was very disappointed with it and went back to dealer several times
      and got no satisfaction. His 40 year old Evinrude had more power, and
      started better he said. And the Honda was not as quiet as advertised
      and a lot heavier.

      He said if I wanted a deal on one to see another fellow he knew who
      was about ready to throw his into the lake due to it not starting.
      Several other things he mentioned as well, like it has to be laid
      down just so, or the oil leaks out.

      Nels
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 24, 2006
        I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite often I was going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set just below full but that was full.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
          >I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not >seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite >often I was going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set just >below full but that was full.

          "In this latest study, J.D. Power and Associates ranked Yamaha “Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Two-Stroke Outboards.” In last year’s study, Yamaha’s four-stroke outboards were awarded, and the year before that both Yamaha’s two- and four-strokes were ranked highest. "

        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
            For what it's worth, my experience with my Honda four stroke has
            been very good. It's a 1985 5hp model, weighs 60 pounds dry
            according to the book -- on the heavy side, but only by 10 or 15
            pounds, I think. More importantly, though, it is very reliable. It
            starts on the first pull, even after sitting unused all winter. It
            took me a little while to figure out the amount of choke to use when
            it's been running and is about half-cooled, but now I can start it
            first pull then too.

            I had to replace the plastic (nylon?) gear wheel on the starter, but
            other than that I've done nothing to it.

            The newer 5 hp engines appear identical to mine, but do appear to be
            a little quieter. The paint job, of course, is different.

            If I was going to buy new, I would probably buy another Honda, but
            the final decision would depend on the dealer as much as the engine -
            - whether he's someone I want to keep dealing with. I would
            definitely get a four stroke again.

            Jamie Orr

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...>
            wrote:

            > >I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found
            it very heavy. Also, the throttle did not >seem to be full variable
            speed. It seems to have a slow, medium and fast. Quite >often I was
            going flat out without realising it, because I had the throttle set
            just >below full but that was full.

            > "In this latest study, J.D. Power and Associates ranked Yamaha
            “Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Two-Stroke Outboards.” In
            last year’s study, Yamaha’s four-stroke outboards were awarded,
            and the year before that both Yamaha’s two- and four-strokes were
            ranked highest. "

          • Greg Flemming
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 25, 2006
              Speaking of the Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke, we have one (long shaft, a bit
              too long!) but! that motor is very impressive ; starts every time,
              runs very smoothly and no problems at all with the trottle response.
              Refined, you might say.

              Shame it's a long shaft, but Yamahas have gone up in my estimation
              after having this motor.

              Greg F

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:

              > I had a Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke and found it very heavy. Also, the
              throttle did not seem to be full variable speed. It seems to have a
              slow, medium and fast. Quite often I was going flat out without
              realising it, because I had the throttle set just below full but that
              was full.

              > Mike

              Recommends Yamaha

              > I know Bolger recommends a Yamaha 4 stroke for the Windermere
              Trawler - what does he recommend a Hondas?

            • Davis, William S.
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 26, 2006
                I had been considering between the Honda and Yamaha, in a small 4 stroke
                unit, it looks like this incident will close this deal for me. I had
                used the Yamaha before and had been really happy with it, so it only
                took a nudge. I really hate the deception they are attempting.

                William S. Davis
                Assistant Director Physical Plant, Utilities
                The University of Oklahoma
                (405)325-3780
                (405)325-5462 fax
                sdavis@... <mailto:sdavis@...>