Windermere up-date

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2006
      Bolgerados,

      Presently experiencing some "forced" downtime from finishing
      her
      due to a wee recently discovered problem with my epoxy.The epoxy in
      question is Industrial Formulators 51 CURE laminating resin. To wit;
      glass cloth "easily" can be peeled off a plywood sheet leaving the
      cured epoxy behind.NOT GOOD NEWS. This was brought to my attention
      several weeks ago by a fellow user of the same epoxy upon glassing
      his
      entire deck.When he went to lift and trim the exposed overhanging
      cloth,(left to cure for two days)he noticed what looked like an
      epoxy starved patch in the cloth
      right where he pulled.As you may have guessed,he pulled a bit
      more and lifted one whole panel clean off his deck. With barely
      concealed rage,confusion and frustration, he rang up our mutual
      Industrial Formulators supplier
      to find out what the hell went wrong.After first establishing that
      everything was done right in the first place(sanding,careful
      measuring
      of the epoxy,thorough mixing,temp. cure time, etc,etc) the supplier
      was at a
      lose.Subsequently,he(supplier) rang me up to alert me to this
      problem ,since he has my epoxy order in hand,and we proceeded to
      make
      up a few of our own test samples.Well darned if the same thing
      didn't
      happen to our test samples as well! We thought that perhaps it was
      something in the fiberglass cloth that was inhibiting full adhession
      and so tried another cloth from a different supplier.Same dreadful
      results! Then bought a few small samples of other epoxy brands and
      presto!,rock solid adhession.......
      Thus our conclusion is that something is amiss with the(our) IFC 51
      CURE batch.
      I've since e-mailed the tech department of Industrial Formulators of
      Canada,giving them a brief outline of our problem and even offering
      send them out test samples for their complete and proper
      analysis.Still waiting for their a response..........

      And so it goes, with about 2 X 250 square feet of 'glassing left to
      do, I'm loath to blow my 30 odd litres of epoxy if the stuff won't
      work.

      The enforced delay hasn't be too painful mind you since my crewette
      appreciates the new found bonus time we now spend together.It also
      allowed me to pick up a neat little contract at the boat yard to do
      repair piece on a friends boat.Easy money in my books!

      Must steal some time away from crewette to organize my fresh batch
      of
      photos too.....!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,just only slightly peed'off at this un-expected,un-
      planned delay but mucho relieved that the original discovery occured
      to another and not moi,from along the shores of the mighty
      st.Lawrence.............
    • eric green
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2006
        What is the loaded weight of the Widermere? Thanks

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
          Wow, Peter - that epoxy snafu sounds like a boatbuilder's nightmare!
          Especially with all the work you've got into that boat already, raising
          doubts about the integrity of the epoxy is awfully bad news! Hope it works
          out all right and that you hadn't gotten too far into that bad batch when
          you got the news!

          Paul L.
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Lefebvre" <paul@...> wrote:

            > Wow, Peter - that epoxy snafu sounds like a boatbuilder's nightmare!
            > Especially with all the work you've got into that boat already,
            raising
            > doubts about the integrity of the epoxy is awfully bad news! Hope
            it
            works
            > out all right and that you hadn't gotten too far into that bad
            batch
            when
            > you got the news!
            >
            > Paul L.

            Hi Paul,

            Fortunately for me,all my previous 'glass work was done with a
            truly
            delicious laminating resin that went on like water,saturated the
            fiberglass like a wet kleenex and cured like steel.During the
            intervening years(I can't believe I just wrote that!) Industrial
            Formulators of Canada was bought by System Three epoxy and my
            favorite
            laminating resion was discontinued.
            The product now being pushed by IFC is this 51CURE epoxy and that
            is the stuff I bought but have not as yet glassed the boat with.
            Still waiting on a reply from their tech department......
            Thank God the coolers are full of ice and the beer flowing handsomely
            or else I would really be in a panic :-D

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan,begining to believe that there must indeed be some
            higher
            power who looks out for idiots like me,from along the shores of the
            muggy St.Lawrence..........

          • Waldo F. Odonahue
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2006
              > Wow, Peter - that epoxy snafu sounds like a boatbuilder' s nightmare!

              Anyone testing various brands of epoxies for boat building purposes? Payson used build a small section and when cured run it over with his pick up truck!

              There are certified laboratories (certified to test epoxies) around - anyone know of any results?

            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric green" <ericgreen@...> wrote:

                > What is the loaded weight of the Widermere? Thanks

                Here are some numbers for Windermere:

                Displacement at 10" draft=aprox.7000lbs.
                at 11" draft= aprox.8000lbs.

                Fuel weight=1230lbs
                battery weight=1824lbs
                freshwater weight=835lbs

                fuel tankage= 200 gallons gasoline
                propane tankage= 2 X 20lbs(minimum)
                water tankage=100 gallons
                holding tank=160 gallons
                battery capacity(12 volt) of 1832AH@ 20 hrs rating

                estimated cruising speed= 6.0 knots
                estimated top speed= 7.5 knots

                guesstimated "all dry" empty weight(including batteries)=5500lbs

                hope this helps.

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan
              • Waldo F. Odonahue
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 25, 2006
                  Is there some reason that I am blocked from viewing Peter's Windermere pictures?

                  Thanks for the info. I hope we do not pester you too much.

                  --
                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.