Re: [bolger] Re: Oldshoe with cabin - Gnushoe

  • BllFs6@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi Graeme

      Yeah, this boyancy and stability thing can certainly get more complex the
      longer one things about it no doubt. Certainly needs alot of work for sure.

      Fortunately, when push comes to shove, the WAY I would use such a beast, I
      would be pretty safe as long as the darn thing stayed together and
      floated.....upright but low in the water or on its side or even up side down....any of
      those would be tolerable for me....so my requirements are not as demanding as
      some...

      Now, if your cruising is more "serious" then yeah, get the stability and
      orientation issues worked out much better....

      Something did occur to me today thinking about such things.....if your cabin
      is fairly assymetric and depending on how much air it holds or how intact it
      is or how much foam you have in the walls/ceiling of the cabin and where it
      is and how much flotation
      you have on the "non-cabin" side, the assymetric cabin may offer another
      advantage. It may ONLY be stable upright....or in other words you turn it upside
      down and the cabin flotation flips it upright again...and even if it doesn't,
      it may provide enough "help" to make using your own body weight to "un
      turtle" the beast easier ....

      So, such a cabin may make a rollover just that....always a rollover and
      never a turtle situation....of course the cabin would probably make a rollover
      more probable.....but if it meant it could never turtle......thats a trade off
      I'd happily live with.

      take care

      Blll

      In a message dated 6/2/2006 11:03:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
      graeme19121984@... writes:

      There is probably a lot of positive bouyancy here if you do this,
      but carefully calculate your new centres of gravity and bouyancy,
      righting arms and so on for various circumstances. The foam weighs
      something, obviously, and so the hull COG has been lowered, which
      may add to performance when upright, but the capsised COB has been
      brought closer to the floor too. In fact they may be almost
      superimposed. Worse, with the weight of the other stuff in the boat
      contributing, on her beam ends the COG may actually be above the
      flooded COB ( relative to the floor of course). If masts are
      shipped, their bouyancy may prevent inversion, but the boat may not
      self right. If it turns turtle it may be in the most stable
      position :( or, depending on sea state, it may only be rescued with
      some effort.

      Calculation may show it's alright, but off the top of my head I
      can't think of anywhere Bolger shows flotation right down low. If it
      doesn't go from bilge to deck like in the quarters or bows perhaps,
      then it is shown chocked up against the deck underside right off the
      floor so when flooded the boat ought to sit stable in the correct
      orientation without manhandling to get it that way. It wont easily
      be tipped over by wave action before it is bailed out. I thought he
      put the foam off the floor to discourage rot and to allow space for
      things like oars or legs to be poked under there. Suttle.