Re: Oldshoe with cabin - Gnushoe

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2 7:31 PM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
      wrote:
      >If I were to build one for myself, the most I would want in a cabin
      >is the cuddy shown in this photo, which is really no more than a
      >locker for secure/dry storage:

      Kenneth,

      This cuddy may be large enough for children to shelter in from a
      downpour, and on calmer days when there would be little danger of
      flooding through the hatchway they might like to stay in there :-)

      Alternativeley, if the hatch acccess were not through the bulkhead
      as pictured, but was a hatch in the raised deck shown, then there
      might be just sufficient privacy for porta-potti use within. I guess
      the hatch coaming might be chest high when sitting within. PCB has
      drawn a few heads in the bow with the occupiers head and shoulders
      protruding above deck. It would require a bit of agility in stepping
      from the cockpit seat, up, over, and down into the hatch, but the
      concession to some privacy might remove a bigger obstacle to some
      peoples' crewing.

      Cheers
      Graeme
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2 9:03 PM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BllFs6@... wrote:
        >, but I think it may meet all Common Sense Criteria including
        >#5: "...They don't exist because they are fashionable or
        >character boats."
        >
        > So what you are trying to say diplomatically is that if form
        >follows function then my design would be amazingly functional given
        >its amazingly bad looks :)

        No not really. I don't know that it would look bad. Just that it
        does't have to slavishly follow conventional dictates about how a
        boat is supposed to look to be a good boat.

        > My sketch is LESS? beamy than the real Oldshoe.

        My mistake. I eyeballed it again - and counted grid squares ;-) and
        your sketch seems ok .

        >I realize pretty much everything interior to the hull shell would
        >be different and have to be engineered by me, myself and I.

        Some of those things might be serving more than one function. PCB
        can be quite suttle in this. PCB assigns a number to a design after
        the offsets are calculated. Old Shoe is #449. PCB&F would probably
        supply the offsets so you could completely change the internals and
        keep exactly the same hull form, however the replacement internals
        would need to satisfy the structural and other demands. I'm sure you
        know more about that engineering stuff than I - just thought I'd
        better mention it though :)

        > SOLAS...
        >Imagine looking at Oldshoe from a side profile. The bottom of the
        >hull is a curved surface that "dips" down about 6 inches IIRC in
        >the center in relation to the bow and stern. Now the cabin floor
        >needs to be flat, and I would prefer that the footwell be flat and
        >above the external water as well because I want it to seriously
        >self draining. If you use foam topped by thin flat plywood panels,
        >you've put a fair thickness of foam over a large number of square
        >feet. I did a back of the envelope calc awhile back and though I
        >dont recall the amount of bouyancy you get out of it, it was at
        >least decent IIRC. Now this DOES eat into cabin height and
        >footwell depth, but how badly and at what costs to other
        >considerations I do not know.

        There is probably a lot of positive bouyancy here if you do this,
        but carefully calculate your new centres of gravity and bouyancy,
        righting arms and so on for various circumstances. The foam weighs
        something, obviously, and so the hull COG has been lowered, which
        may add to performance when upright, but the capsised COB has been
        brought closer to the floor too. In fact they may be almost
        superimposed. Worse, with the weight of the other stuff in the boat
        contributing, on her beam ends the COG may actually be above the
        flooded COB ( relative to the floor of course). If masts are
        shipped, their bouyancy may prevent inversion, but the boat may not
        self right. If it turns turtle it may be in the most stable
        position :( or, depending on sea state, it may only be rescued with
        some effort.

        Calculation may show it's alright, but off the top of my head I
        can't think of anywhere Bolger shows flotation right down low. If it
        doesn't go from bilge to deck like in the quarters or bows perhaps,
        then it is shown chocked up against the deck underside right off the
        floor so when flooded the boat ought to sit stable in the correct
        orientation without manhandling to get it that way. It wont easily
        be tipped over by wave action before it is bailed out. I thought he
        put the foam off the floor to discourage rot and to allow space for
        things like oars or legs to be poked under there. Suttle.

        >calculations as to what/when/where/ how stable she is seriously
        >flooded under different scenarios. I do think its doable, but then
        >again it certainly isnt something you'd wanna just eyeball, wing it
        >and hope for the best either.
        >...time for more boxes, rulers, and sketches me thinks....

        It's doable. Just gotta get out all the wrinkles.

        > I am suprised that an assymetric cabin seems to be a fairly novel
        >idea. I can see myself being admonished by Bolger now. "Listen
        >young man....form may follow function but one must learn to
        >control oneself" :) I am kinda itchy to try the layout on a
        >Micro.....might be able to get a...

        I'm sure Mr Bolger would have no trouble with assymetry per se.
        You'd know you were going too far here though, if he mentioned
        zealotry. ;-)

        Cheers
        Graeme
      • BllFs6@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2 9:25 PM
          Hi Graeme

          Yeah, this boyancy and stability thing can certainly get more complex the
          longer one things about it no doubt. Certainly needs alot of work for sure.

          Fortunately, when push comes to shove, the WAY I would use such a beast, I
          would be pretty safe as long as the darn thing stayed together and
          floated.....upright but low in the water or on its side or even up side down....any of
          those would be tolerable for me....so my requirements are not as demanding as
          some...

          Now, if your cruising is more "serious" then yeah, get the stability and
          orientation issues worked out much better....

          Something did occur to me today thinking about such things.....if your cabin
          is fairly assymetric and depending on how much air it holds or how intact it
          is or how much foam you have in the walls/ceiling of the cabin and where it
          is and how much flotation
          you have on the "non-cabin" side, the assymetric cabin may offer another
          advantage. It may ONLY be stable upright....or in other words you turn it upside
          down and the cabin flotation flips it upright again...and even if it doesn't,
          it may provide enough "help" to make using your own body weight to "un
          turtle" the beast easier ....

          So, such a cabin may make a rollover just that....always a rollover and
          never a turtle situation....of course the cabin would probably make a rollover
          more probable.....but if it meant it could never turtle......thats a trade off
          I'd happily live with.

          take care

          Blll