Re: [bolger] Fiberglass over plywood repair question

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      Bill, I am engaged in a similar but (unfortunately)
      larger scale problem with a plywood deck. If the
      polyester bond is starting to fail you will be best
      off if you re-glass with epoxy, because the poor bond
      will allow water to wick in, where it can't dry and
      can start rot. The poly/glass tape comes off pretty
      readily with a heat gun, in my experience. Good luck.

      --- Bill_Mercer <bill_mercer@...> wrote:

      > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been
      > fiberglassed with some
      > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't
      > stick to wood as
      > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some
      > point rubbed against
      > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the
      > stem, and into the stem
      > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the
      > mahogany stem was
      > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway,
      > on the sides of
      > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch
      > or so back from
      > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be
      > restuck to the wood
      > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away
      > the loose area and
      > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The
      > damage,
      > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat
      > is on its trailer.
      >
      > Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • FRANK Coletta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        Bill,

        I recommend removing the loose cloth and replacing it with new fiberglass
        and epoxy. You will have a much better result.

        Frank