Re: Fiberglass over plywood repair question

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
      wrote:

      > For a longer lasting repair you should cut away all the
      delaminated poly/glass then replace it with new epoxy/glass.
      Naturally this will be a lot more work than the quick fix.

      I'll second this recommendation too. Adding only; make sure that
      your exposed wood surfaces all are dry and nicely sanded before
      applying the new "fix",pre-coat the exposed wood(especially the
      plywood) prior to 'glassing and finally,work hard at getting a
      nice,feather edged,'glass overlap so that you have a minimum of
      fairing to do before painting.
      With any kind of luck your repair will be perfectly invisible and
      you very proud of your handywork :-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        Bill, I am engaged in a similar but (unfortunately)
        larger scale problem with a plywood deck. If the
        polyester bond is starting to fail you will be best
        off if you re-glass with epoxy, because the poor bond
        will allow water to wick in, where it can't dry and
        can start rot. The poly/glass tape comes off pretty
        readily with a heat gun, in my experience. Good luck.

        --- Bill_Mercer <bill_mercer@...> wrote:

        > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been
        > fiberglassed with some
        > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't
        > stick to wood as
        > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some
        > point rubbed against
        > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the
        > stem, and into the stem
        > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the
        > mahogany stem was
        > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway,
        > on the sides of
        > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch
        > or so back from
        > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be
        > restuck to the wood
        > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away
        > the loose area and
        > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The
        > damage,
        > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat
        > is on its trailer.
        >
        > Bill

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • FRANK Coletta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
          Bill,

          I recommend removing the loose cloth and replacing it with new fiberglass
          and epoxy. You will have a much better result.

          Frank