Re: [bolger] Fiberglass over plywood repair question

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      For a longer lasting repair you should cut away all the delaminated poly/glass then replace it with new epoxy/glass. Naturally this will be a lot more work than the quick fix.

      Using epoxy to glue the poly/glass layer onto the wood where it has delaminated might work too, and it would be faster and cheaper and easier.

      It really depends upon how much work you want to put into a repair like this, and whether or not the location of the damage seems like it may pose a safety hazard or if it is instead just a cosmetic issue.

      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks

      On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 06:06:50 -0000, Bill_Mercer wrote:
      > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been fiberglassed with some
      > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't stick to wood as
      > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some point rubbed against
      > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the stem, and into the stem
      > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the mahogany stem was
      > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway, on the sides of
      > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch or so back from
      > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be restuck to the wood
      > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away the loose area and
      > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The damage,
      > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat is on its trailer.
      >
      > Bill

      > dead horses
      > Fax: (978) 282-1349
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
        wrote:

        > For a longer lasting repair you should cut away all the
        delaminated poly/glass then replace it with new epoxy/glass.
        Naturally this will be a lot more work than the quick fix.

        I'll second this recommendation too. Adding only; make sure that
        your exposed wood surfaces all are dry and nicely sanded before
        applying the new "fix",pre-coat the exposed wood(especially the
        plywood) prior to 'glassing and finally,work hard at getting a
        nice,feather edged,'glass overlap so that you have a minimum of
        fairing to do before painting.
        With any kind of luck your repair will be perfectly invisible and
        you very proud of your handywork :-)

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan
      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
          Bill, I am engaged in a similar but (unfortunately)
          larger scale problem with a plywood deck. If the
          polyester bond is starting to fail you will be best
          off if you re-glass with epoxy, because the poor bond
          will allow water to wick in, where it can't dry and
          can start rot. The poly/glass tape comes off pretty
          readily with a heat gun, in my experience. Good luck.

          --- Bill_Mercer <bill_mercer@...> wrote:

          > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been
          > fiberglassed with some
          > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't
          > stick to wood as
          > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some
          > point rubbed against
          > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the
          > stem, and into the stem
          > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the
          > mahogany stem was
          > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway,
          > on the sides of
          > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch
          > or so back from
          > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be
          > restuck to the wood
          > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away
          > the loose area and
          > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The
          > damage,
          > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat
          > is on its trailer.
          >
          > Bill

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • FRANK Coletta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
            Bill,

            I recommend removing the loose cloth and replacing it with new fiberglass
            and epoxy. You will have a much better result.

            Frank