Fiberglass over plywood repair question

  • Bill_Mercer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been fiberglassed with some
      sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't stick to wood as
      powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some point rubbed against
      a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the stem, and into the stem
      a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the mahogany stem was
      tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway, on the sides of
      the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch or so back from
      the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be restuck to the wood
      with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away the loose area and
      just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The damage,
      incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat is on its trailer.

      Bill
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        For a longer lasting repair you should cut away all the delaminated poly/glass then replace it with new epoxy/glass. Naturally this will be a lot more work than the quick fix.

        Using epoxy to glue the poly/glass layer onto the wood where it has delaminated might work too, and it would be faster and cheaper and easier.

        It really depends upon how much work you want to put into a repair like this, and whether or not the location of the damage seems like it may pose a safety hazard or if it is instead just a cosmetic issue.

        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks

        On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 06:06:50 -0000, Bill_Mercer wrote:
        > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been fiberglassed with some
        > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't stick to wood as
        > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some point rubbed against
        > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the stem, and into the stem
        > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the mahogany stem was
        > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway, on the sides of
        > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch or so back from
        > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be restuck to the wood
        > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away the loose area and
        > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The damage,
        > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat is on its trailer.
        >
        > Bill

        > dead horses
        > Fax: (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
          wrote:

          > For a longer lasting repair you should cut away all the
          delaminated poly/glass then replace it with new epoxy/glass.
          Naturally this will be a lot more work than the quick fix.

          I'll second this recommendation too. Adding only; make sure that
          your exposed wood surfaces all are dry and nicely sanded before
          applying the new "fix",pre-coat the exposed wood(especially the
          plywood) prior to 'glassing and finally,work hard at getting a
          nice,feather edged,'glass overlap so that you have a minimum of
          fairing to do before painting.
          With any kind of luck your repair will be perfectly invisible and
          you very proud of your handywork :-)

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan
        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
            Bill, I am engaged in a similar but (unfortunately)
            larger scale problem with a plywood deck. If the
            polyester bond is starting to fail you will be best
            off if you re-glass with epoxy, because the poor bond
            will allow water to wick in, where it can't dry and
            can start rot. The poly/glass tape comes off pretty
            readily with a heat gun, in my experience. Good luck.

            --- Bill_Mercer <bill_mercer@...> wrote:

            > I've just acquired a plywood boat that has been
            > fiberglassed with some
            > sort of polyester/vinylester type resin that doesn't
            > stick to wood as
            > powerfully as epoxy. The bow of the boat at some
            > point rubbed against
            > a dock enough to abrade through the glass over the
            > stem, and into the stem
            > a fraction of an inch (it kind of looks like the
            > mahogany stem was
            > tougher than the fiberglass protecting it). Anyway,
            > on the sides of
            > the stem the glass has peeled from the wood an inch
            > or so back from
            > the damage. I'm wondering if the stuff can be
            > restuck to the wood
            > with epoxy, or if I should just cut/grind/sand away
            > the loose area and
            > just cover it with a layer of cloth and epoxy. The
            > damage,
            > incidently, is all above the waterline, and the boat
            > is on its trailer.
            >
            > Bill

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • FRANK Coletta
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
              Bill,

              I recommend removing the loose cloth and replacing it with new fiberglass
              and epoxy. You will have a much better result.

              Frank