cost of boatbuilding

  • gravedigger20032003
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2006
      Greetings Bolger Boat Group Friends,

      I feel compelled to comment on costs. I'm building a Tennessee. I
      got the plans from a book called "Different Boats." I made a few
      minor changes. My budget for everything--marine ply, epoxy, motor,
      hardware, paint, etc, is $5,000. So far so good, as of last total.
      I still need a trailer, though.

      I thought I would pass along some epoxy sources which I have used
      and found most excellent. I've used 13 gallons of thin epoxy with
      slow hardener from U.S. composites. They have a three gallon kit
      for something like 104$ and a seven gallon kit for 215$. No blush,
      2:1 ratio, easy to use, forgiving, predictable. Check out their
      website. I recently got a three gallon kit of thick resin from an
      ebay source. It works well for making glues, etc. It cost $70 for
      three gallons! Search "epoxy resin" on ebay and check out Orion's
      Pyramid for this epoxy. I haven't used more than 1/2 gallon of it
      yet, but it works very well.

      Orion's Pyramid is in Utah, shipping is reasonable, and U.S.
      Composites is in Florida, I think. So, depending upon where you
      might happen to live, shipping will be a factor to consider. I
      personally can't see why anyone would pay twice as much for epoxy.
      I've used System Three and also West. I see no practical advantage
      to paying more--I think it funds elaborate advertising campaigns!

      Well, we're all being taken advantage of by a Government that
      debases our currency daily. Why not get the most of it while it
      still has value?

      I will try to post some pictures of a model I built, and later some
      of the boat itself. I meant to do so last month, but my wife got
      Chicken pox and some sort of complications from that--and she's got
      the digital camera! If all goes well (read: money flows,work lets
      up, and kids stop being so messy) I hope to have this puppy finished
      by early July.
      Timothy James
    • derbyrm
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2006
        Each to his own. I bought my plans from Bolger, I've profited from Kern
        Hendricks advice, I've been in the R&D side of things, I'm not on a budget.
        (Kern is THE System Three chemist.)

        Maybe the Chinese copies would exist if Kern and the Gougeon brothers had
        not made the effort, but maybe not. Maybe your boat would have been
        designed without PCB. Then again, maybe we'd still be driving Model A Fords
        and using abaci. Oh, I forgot, Henry Ford went out on a limb too.

        Saving a few bucks so I could drive an SUV or buy a few more cases of beer
        just doesn't seem like the thing to do.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2006
          Bolger Friend,
          Let me point out that my post was not addressed to anyone in
          particular, nor to you fine sir specifically. It's a general post.
          Indeed, to each his own.
          However, let me clarify a few points. First of all, "Different
          Boats" is a book by Bolger in which many plans are included.
          Secondly, some of your response seems, to say the least, a bit of a
          non-sequiter, or, perhaps, not pertinent to my post. Some of it
          might be better left to a discussion group on world economic history.

          > Maybe the Chinese copies would exist if Kern and the Gougeon
          brothers had
          > not made the effort, but maybe not. Maybe your boat would have
          been
          > designed without PCB. Then again, maybe we'd still be driving
          Model A Fords
          > and using abaci. Oh, I forgot, Henry Ford went out on a limb too.

          Thirdly, I am unsure if your comments regarding the impetus to save
          a few bucks is directed at me, or at everyone wishing to save a few
          bucks. Either way, it's quite a generalization and a stretch. My
          motive for saving money has nothing to do with SUVs (my car gets
          33mpg--its a good thing I don't go with your logic and drive a Model
          A!). As for beer, that's not a bad idea, but what if I really save
          money to buy crack? Or what if I want to save money for my kid's
          college? What if I save money for my next boat project? In fact,
          it doesn't matter why some people want to save money and is,
          therefore, entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

          > Saving a few bucks so I could drive an SUV or buy a few more cases
          of beer
          > just doesn't seem like the thing to do.

          As far as I know, there are only two or three major manufacturers of
          epoxy. This then gets repackaged and sold by our various brand name
          people. The epoxy I use doesn't come from China, it comes from Dow
          Chemical.

          Finally, lest more mistake my post for an attack or moral
          commentary, I make no judgment on people's motives or costs. I
          think it's super cool that we're building boats with our bare
          hands. That's all. Spend as much or as little as you want or need
          to. Cool. For those who may wish, for whatever reasons, to spend
          less on epoxy that works well, you might check out the suppliers I
          mentioned. Again, do as you wish, I'm impressed by everyone's
          efforts and make no judgment in any way on their methods or choices.
          Build on, Bolger boat friends...
          Tim
        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2006
            <gravediggerjames@...> wrote:

            > Bolger Friend,...
            >First of all, "Different Boats" is a book by Bolger in which many
            >plans are included...

            >>... Finally, lest more mistake my post for an attack or moral
            > commentary, I make no judgment on people's motives or costs. I
            > think it's super cool that we're building boats with our bare
            > hands. That's all. Spend as much or as little as you want or
            >need to. Cool....

            I think it reasonable to conclude from the first two pararaphs of
            Otter ll in "Different Boats" (Chap 13) that Mr Bolger was not put
            out, and perhaps was quite pleased if people built from the plans in
            his books. In part: "In my first book, Small Boats, there's a design
            for a cuddy-cabin sharpie called Otter that I wish I could get back.
            It's a good basic shape (many just love it); in fact, the boats
            built from it go pretty well, but it's not well laid out for
            efficient assembly... ... The presentation is not elegant...."

            Point is; he published the plan and building key in full, knowing
            some would be built from the book, (even though it's not to scale).
            He's not saying that people shouldn't have built from the book, only
            that later he would set the plan out differently/better.

            His feelings about this building practice may have changed and would
            apply to later publications; though there is the caveat on building
            the Minimum Proa in BWAOM, albeit an invitation to join yet another
            adventure in design. Later he made plans freely available for peero;
            only asking for US$25 if one were actually built. You can't change
            what you did in the past, but you can chuckle.

            Cheers
            Graeme -who is so enjoying Different Boats
          • bhmildy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2006
              gravediggerjames:

              you are a troll.