RE: [bolger] stern-o-rama revisited

  • Chester Young
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2006
      to add to Sam's comments:

      The Delaware (something I was looking at with great interest prior to
      obtaining Esther Mae) has slightly deeper draft than a Tennessee giving the
      interior more head room. Most of the sharpies designed to plane under power
      have kneeling headroom only, keeping draft shallow, design simple and weight
      down. The flat bottom allows for easier planning at lower power with the
      reduced weight, but is sacrificed in on board accommodations by lack of
      headroom to keep the center of gravity reasonable. One of Phil Bolger's
      comments to me was that Esther Mae is built closely to the original design
      and he expressed concern about versions with a lot up top. Then there is
      the efficiency of such hulls at low, non planning speeds, Phil expressed
      great desire to have data regarding performance at non planning speed,
      noting that the economy should exceptional with a four stroke outboard.

      Caloosarat

      _____