AW: [bolger] Re: Zephyr - pics

  • hannes
    Message 1 of 33 , May 24, 2006
      Am 2006-05-23 07:16:33 schrieb(en) graeme19121984:
      > How did you find stowing the rig when not sailing? Were the long
      > yard and boom in the way of rowing etc?
      yes they were. I usually had them sticking out the front of the
      cockpit. when you are alone in the boat it is not a big deal, but with
      2 and all the sticks it starts to get crowded.

      > By the way,
      > what is that anchor type called -I don't recall seeing one exactly
      > like it before.
      its some no-name italian maybe-danforth-inspired thing. I suspect it
      works mainly through its weight. But for a boat this light it was fine.

      > I see you tried cartopping both upright and inverted, did you have
      > to travel far to launch? Your cruising grounds looks nice, and there
      > sure is a lot of room in Zephyr to carry the camp gear.
      for cartopping upside down you need a rather wide roof rack, and once
      up it is very stable. but you need 2 really strong guys to get it up
      that way. because of the rocker it wants to flip, and as its almost
      double-ended you hold the poited ends and dont get a good grip to
      counteract this. the second time we did it it flipped, and almost
      smashed the cars side windows. no more tries.

      there is plenty of room for camping gear, but you have to put
      everything in watertight bags, and lash it firmly so it wont slide
      around. if I would build her again I would extend the bow compartment
      back to the mast step, and add a good-sized hatch on centerline.

      > Were you able to sail her from a similar semi-reclined position as
      > that shown in a test on the lawn? If so, perhaps a small hoop framed
      > sunshelter could provide some sun protection to the helmsperson when
      > under way?
      sailing position was very comfortable, reclining against the sides, no
      inwale bothering you.
      I prefer long pants and a straw hat against the sun. there are already
      enough sticks on board, and it would be in the way of the boom when you
      are tacking. but have a look at birdwatcher or jim michalaks smaller
      models.

      > Thanks for posting the photos Hannes.

      my pleasure!

      --