Re: Micro in South Australia, Paloma Blanca

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2006
      Greg, good news that Roger may be coming back aboard. Does he know
      there may be a few enquiries about his Paloma Blanca adventure? He
      does seem to have cruised to Kangaroo Island quite a few times, and
      that can be very rough.

      Thanks for posting the photos of Roger's pilot house etc. I see now,
      I think, that he wouldn't have sailed her from within, but there is
      a lot of useful space and height.

      Thanks for the AABB article(s) posting too. I'll be curious to know
      how come the initial stern hung kick-up rudder mods mean an outboard
      would be displaced to port as the transom scuppers seem to be
      symetrical. Is it because those "Vee" shaped thingo's as shown in
      the rudder drawing are still on the transom?

      I've copied to the Bolger7 Paloma Blanca file 3 pics previously
      posted in another Bolgergroup photos section. I had not twigged that
      Roger rowed her, but thought he paddled, or, as in the "run down the
      dock" pic, simply always manouvered by sail alone. After reading in
      the article on her building and modifications that Roger considered
      her "easily rowed" it dawned on me that those topside open
      rectangles (just aft of her race number!) were not extra scuppers
      for Southern Ocean work, but in fact are oarports. Duh!

      Cheers
      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > Back again, as I have just been able to post another article from
      the
      > magazine: Australian Amateur Boat Builder, from Vol 2, issue 2,
      Spring
      > (Downunder that is) 1993. This article is one that Roger Keyes
      wrote
      > about the building of Paloma Blanca when he first built her in a
      > modifed form without the keel. From the first this was meant to
      be
      > an interim arrangement and Roger always intended to complete
      Paloma
      > Blanca as a standard Micro so that he could venture off-shore to
      > Kangaroo Island and the Gulfs.
      >
      > Roger did all this and as you will see from the other article from
      > Australian Amateur Boat Builder, he sailed Paloma Blanca to
      Kangaroo
      > Island (with keel!) at a later date. Indeed, Roger went to the
      Island
      > quite a few times.
      >
      > So this article is with the first article and the photos of Paloma
      > Blanca - (in the recent photos she appears modified, yet again,
      with
      > a "Navigator" cabin). - In the files section of Bolger 7 in a
      file
      > called Paloma Blanca.
      >
      > Thanks all,
      >
      > Greg F

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I have just posted some more pictures of Roger Keyes' Micro,
      Paloma
      > Blanca, with the modified ("Navigator") cabin added. Paloma
      Blanca is
      > well known in this part of the Globe (at least) due to Roger's
      > amazing exploits sailing her to Kangaroo Island and the South
      > Australian Gulfs - not easy sailing, you are getting very close
      > the "The Roaring Forties" down there!
      >
      > Roger kindly sent the pictures via email from South Australia
      today,
      > and I will try to post an article from Australian Amateur Boat
      Builder