paint removal-help

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7 12:52 PM
      I have spent the last few hours removing the paint
      from a 20' wooden mast, using a heat gun and scraper.
      It is pleasant enough work, in the shade at a
      comfortable height. But the amount of time it has
      taken makes me doubt whether I have the patience to
      strip the hull by the same method. The boat is strip
      planked mahogany, the deckhosue is teak, and the deck
      and deckhouse top are glass over ply. The boat has
      fresh (last year's) paint over failing old paint. It
      all has to come off. I have a recommendation for a
      stripper, but enough to do a thirty-one foot boat
      ain't cheap. Anybody have an idea of how best to get
      her to wood? Thanks. Sam

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7 12:59 PM
        Try this link

        http://www.eco-strip.com/

        HJ

        Sam Glasscock wrote:
        > I have spent the last few hours removing the paint
        > from a 20' wooden mast, using a heat gun and scraper.
        > It is pleasant enough work, in the shade at a
        > comfortable height. But the amount of time it has
        > taken makes me doubt whether I have the patience to
        > strip the hull by the same method. The boat is strip
        > planked mahogany, the deckhosue is teak, and the deck
        > and deckhouse top are glass over ply. The boat has
        > fresh (last year's) paint over failing old paint. It
        > all has to come off. I have a recommendation for a
        > stripper, but enough to do a thirty-one foot boat
        > ain't cheap. Anybody have an idea of how best to get
        > her to wood? Thanks. Sam

      • Bob Chamberland
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7 4:23 PM
          Well you have my sympathy. I looked at the "Eco-Strip" bit from Harry
          James but my observation is that heat is heat.

          Marine paint is more tenacious than Latex house paint. Random orbit
          sanders are better than any others. I rather think that the types of
          remover such as "Marine Safety Strip" are relatively painless compared
          to cheaper removers but the cost is horrendous.

          Badly bonded paint should scrape off fairly easily using a heat gun
          and scraper. Well bonded paint need not be removed rather should be
          sanded to obtain a smooth finish coat. That is unless you want to
          finish bright. If that is the case then either you spend a lot of
          money or a lot of labor.

          When I stripped my last project (Interthan Plus) I sanded with the
          random orbit sander. Though tedious it was relatively easy.
          Refinishing the transoms on my Nereia Pram was much more work for the
          size of the project since it was getting through a quality varnish
          down to the epoxy layer. I used a heat gun, scraped and then finish
          sanded. But that was only about 7 square feet.

          I think a heat gun can do anything the "Eco-Strip" tool can do but the
          Eco-Strip is probably more easily controlled.

          Again, good luck. Bob Chamberland