Re: Fibreglass Queen Mab

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "davejthib" <davejthib@...> wrote:

      > I sold my Just Ducky to a gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
      > standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
      > when he is not sailing her.

      Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
      written up?

      How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?

      Thanks, Nels
    • GarthAB
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2006
        A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
        curious:

        http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm

        I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
        getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?

        I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
        stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
        have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.

        Garth
      • Kenneth Grome
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2006
          How much are the plans for Queen Mab?

          Kenneth Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
        • davejthib
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2006
            Just Ducky was not a tippy boat, one of the things you have to
            consider is your own weight, Just Ducky was sailed by several people
            weighing over 200 pounds but it sat pretty low in the water, I often
            wondered what the boat would be like if it were 4 to 6 inches wider.

            I would certainly recommend strip planking over any other method of
            construction to get the boat down to minimum weight, at 28 pounds the
            Just Ducky could be easily carred in one hand !!. I personally do not
            know of any Queen Mab constructed using glued lap ply as Bolger
            specified that weighed less than 45 pounds.

            Phil Bolger sells a video of me sailing the Just Ducky from his dock
            in Gloucester Mass, the video runs about 30 minutes and is just
            duducky if I have to offer an opinion.daDave thibodeau:

            > A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
            > curious:
            >
            > http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm
            >
            > I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
            > getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?
            >
            > I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
            > stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
            > have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.
            >
            > Garth

          • davejthib
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2006
              Phil Bolger drew the plans for the Queen Mab to be built using glued
              lap ply and molds that became part of the finished hull.

              I "smoothed " out the station mold lines in order to build it out of
              cedar strips and ended up with a hull without any interior support
              structure.

              dave thibodeau

              > Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
              > written up?
              >
              > How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?
              >
              > Thanks, Nels

            • davejthib
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2006