Re: Fibreglass Queen Mab

  • davejthib
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6 5:43 AM
      I sold my Just Ducky to aq gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
      standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
      when he is not sdailing her.

      I would STRONGLY recommend you do not purse the folding mast as
      shown on the plans, just doesn't work out in real life and adds a
      lot of complexity to the rig. Get a good sail made, not just a piece
      of straight cloth. I personally found that as designed the sailors
      weight was too far forward and I moved the seat back six inches
      which made the boat balance on her lines much better.. Be careful
      sailin such a small boat in crowded waterways, you cannot be seen by
      yoyos in flying bridges of big motor boats.

      dave thibodeau

      > Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let
      you know
      > the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any
      sailing tips?

      > Mike

      Fred' posts
      > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
      away
      > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
      01930, Fax:
      > > (978) 282-1349
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Nels
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6 7:26 AM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "davejthib" <davejthib@...> wrote:

        > I sold my Just Ducky to a gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
        > standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
        > when he is not sailing her.

        Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
        written up?

        How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?

        Thanks, Nels
      • GarthAB
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6 9:02 AM
          A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
          curious:

          http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm

          I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
          getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?

          I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
          stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
          have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.

          Garth
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6 10:20 AM
            How much are the plans for Queen Mab?

            Kenneth Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
          • davejthib
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6 11:30 AM
              Just Ducky was not a tippy boat, one of the things you have to
              consider is your own weight, Just Ducky was sailed by several people
              weighing over 200 pounds but it sat pretty low in the water, I often
              wondered what the boat would be like if it were 4 to 6 inches wider.

              I would certainly recommend strip planking over any other method of
              construction to get the boat down to minimum weight, at 28 pounds the
              Just Ducky could be easily carred in one hand !!. I personally do not
              know of any Queen Mab constructed using glued lap ply as Bolger
              specified that weighed less than 45 pounds.

              Phil Bolger sells a video of me sailing the Just Ducky from his dock
              in Gloucester Mass, the video runs about 30 minutes and is just
              duducky if I have to offer an opinion.daDave thibodeau:

              > A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
              > curious:
              >
              > http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm
              >
              > I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
              > getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?
              >
              > I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
              > stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
              > have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.
              >
              > Garth

            • davejthib
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6 11:39 AM
                Phil Bolger drew the plans for the Queen Mab to be built using glued
                lap ply and molds that became part of the finished hull.

                I "smoothed " out the station mold lines in order to build it out of
                cedar strips and ended up with a hull without any interior support
                structure.

                dave thibodeau

                > Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                > written up?
                >
                > How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?
                >
                > Thanks, Nels

              • davejthib
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6 11:40 AM