Jochems Schooner "SAPPHIRE"

  • Doc Musekamp
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2006
      While I've lurked here for quite a while, I thought some of you
      might be interested to hear that the prototype WDJ Family
      Schooner "Sapphire", will soon make her home in northeast Wisconsin.
      I purchased her from Bill Jochems after consulting him first for
      input on his building experiences. I have the plans but one thing
      led to another and I'm very happy to be able to accelerate the
      entire process by buying instead ! Not that I don't have work to do.
      Bill wintered in California the last couple of years and the boat
      was in the water with little use. She's in need of a complete
      repainting, new leeboards/rudder blade, and her spars need
      refinishing.

      I know I'll have more questions as I get into refurbishing her, but
      to start...Bill used an epoxy primer but painted topsides and deck
      with latex. It's chalked and faded but no flaking anywhere. Can I go
      with a single part polyurethane like Brightsides over the latex, or
      am I asking for trouble and just stick with latex? Appreciate any
      input..

      I'm excited about getting "SAPPHIRE" back in condition (yes, the
      name stays)...as well as getting to know her traits. I have a fair
      amount of sailing experience on varied boats, but none on a
      schooner. I can't wait to get her in the water..should be fun !

      Doc Musekamp
      Oshkosh, WI
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2006
        On Sat, 06 May 2006 03:14:36 -0000, Doc Musekamp wrote:
        > I know I'll have more questions as I get into refurbishing her, but
        > to start...Bill used an epoxy primer but painted topsides and deck
        > with latex. It's chalked and faded but no flaking anywhere. Can I go
        > with a single part polyurethane like Brightsides over the latex, or
        > am I asking for trouble and just stick with latex? Appreciate any
        > input..

        Doc,

        It's generally better to remove latex paint if you're going to cover it with a non-latex paint.

        Having said this, I'm sure someone else will tell you that Brightsides will work fine over latex. I don't have any personal experience with Brightsides myself, but if it doesn't tell you (on the can) that you're okay to paint it over latex, I would call the technical rep at the company and ask.

        My brother was a technical rep for Sherwin Williams for a long time, and I can tell you that these guys really "know their stuff" ... and they are very happy to help you. In fact, if you get in touch with the Brightsides tech rep in your areas, he may want to go to your place and look at the situation in person. I know my brother really loved this kind of opportunity.

        The company gladly pays for their tech rep's travel expenses and sample materials and such, because they WANT their tech reps to have an ongoing education. This is exactly how they get it too -- by going out and seeing the problem firsthand so they can use their expertise to propose the best available solutions.

        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2006
          > > am I asking for trouble and just stick with latex? Appreciate any

          I don't have tons of experience with Brightsides, but I have some,
          and the nice glossy look that is possible with that paint really
          depends on doing the surface prep under the paint, in otherwords
          buy a big box of sandpaper and spend your time sanding, and prime
          painting and smooth sanding the prime paint, and only then put on the
          Brightsides paint.