Re: [bolger] Re: Fibreglass Queen Mab

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2006
      Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let you know
      the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any sailing tips?

      Mike

      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:
        >Might have a race. After that I am not sure. I might sell the mould
        >or I might build some more as a hobby... company...

        Hi Mike,

        I see you've already posted some info on QM in Bolger Cartoons

        thanks for that. I had her confused with some other small sailboat.

        What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane? Should be good
        on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
        would look nice. Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
        as the Peero 12? Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
        should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
        that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
        another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
        10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
        just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
        longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
        it a lot.

        Cheers
        Graeme
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 15 , May 5, 2006
          > What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane?

          Hypothetically, the professionals think just under $2000 because of its
          size.

          Should be good
          > on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
          > would look nice.

          The hull does about 3.5 kts so you would have to be sure you would make way
          against the tide or use the tide to advantage.

          Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
          > as the Peero 12?

          It seems to be. QM is 30sq ft of area and is Gaff rigged.

          Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
          > should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
          > that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
          > another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
          > 10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
          > just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
          > longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
          > it a lot.

          I think I recall Jones saying the Tuckahoe was tender.

          > Cheers
          > Mike
        • davejthib
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2006
            I sold my Just Ducky to aq gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
            standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
            when he is not sdailing her.

            I would STRONGLY recommend you do not purse the folding mast as
            shown on the plans, just doesn't work out in real life and adds a
            lot of complexity to the rig. Get a good sail made, not just a piece
            of straight cloth. I personally found that as designed the sailors
            weight was too far forward and I moved the seat back six inches
            which made the boat balance on her lines much better.. Be careful
            sailin such a small boat in crowded waterways, you cannot be seen by
            yoyos in flying bridges of big motor boats.

            dave thibodeau

            > Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let
            you know
            > the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any
            sailing tips?

            > Mike

            Fred' posts
            > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
            away
            > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
            01930, Fax:
            > > (978) 282-1349
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "davejthib" <davejthib@...> wrote:

              > I sold my Just Ducky to a gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
              > standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
              > when he is not sailing her.

              Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
              written up?

              How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?

              Thanks, Nels
            • GarthAB
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                curious:

                http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm

                I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?

                I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.

                Garth
              • Kenneth Grome
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                  How much are the plans for Queen Mab?

                  Kenneth Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                • davejthib
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                    Just Ducky was not a tippy boat, one of the things you have to
                    consider is your own weight, Just Ducky was sailed by several people
                    weighing over 200 pounds but it sat pretty low in the water, I often
                    wondered what the boat would be like if it were 4 to 6 inches wider.

                    I would certainly recommend strip planking over any other method of
                    construction to get the boat down to minimum weight, at 28 pounds the
                    Just Ducky could be easily carred in one hand !!. I personally do not
                    know of any Queen Mab constructed using glued lap ply as Bolger
                    specified that weighed less than 45 pounds.

                    Phil Bolger sells a video of me sailing the Just Ducky from his dock
                    in Gloucester Mass, the video runs about 30 minutes and is just
                    duducky if I have to offer an opinion.daDave thibodeau:

                    > A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                    > curious:
                    >
                    > http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm
                    >
                    > I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                    > getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?
                    >
                    > I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                    > stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                    > have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.
                    >
                    > Garth

                  • davejthib
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                      Phil Bolger drew the plans for the Queen Mab to be built using glued
                      lap ply and molds that became part of the finished hull.

                      I "smoothed " out the station mold lines in order to build it out of
                      cedar strips and ended up with a hull without any interior support
                      structure.

                      dave thibodeau

                      > Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                      > written up?
                      >
                      > How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?
                      >
                      > Thanks, Nels

                    • davejthib
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2006