Re: Fibreglass Queen Mab

  • davejthib
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2006
      I am the builder of the first Queen Mab which I built using 1/4 cedar
      strips and covered with 4 oz fiberglass cloth inside and out.

      My FINISHED hull weighed 28 pounds.

      I think you will add 10 pounds the deck, centerboard, and fittings

      > I popped a modified for fibreglass (GRP) Queen Mab hull out of its
      mould Monday and the hull alone without anything added was 26.5 pounds
      or 12 kg. It had two light coats of gel coat, a layer of 225 gsm and
      two layers of 600 gsm chopped mat.

      > Mike

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2006
        Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let you know
        the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any sailing tips?

        Mike

        >I am the builder of the first Queen Mab which I built using 1/4 cedar
        > strips and covered with 4 oz fiberglass cloth inside and out.
        >
        > My FINISHED hull weighed 28 pounds.
        >
        > I think you will add 10 pounds the deck, centerboard, and fittings
        >>
        >> I popped a modified for fibreglass (GRP) Queen Mab hull out of its
        > mould Monday and the hull alone without anything added was 26.5 pounds
        > or 12 kg. It had two light coats of gel coat, a layer of 225 gsm and
        > two layers of 600 gsm chopped mat.
        >>
        >> Mike

        > horses
        > (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 15 , May 5, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:
          >Might have a race. After that I am not sure. I might sell the mould
          >or I might build some more as a hobby... company...

          Hi Mike,

          I see you've already posted some info on QM in Bolger Cartoons

          thanks for that. I had her confused with some other small sailboat.

          What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane? Should be good
          on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
          would look nice. Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
          as the Peero 12? Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
          should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
          that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
          another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
          10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
          just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
          longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
          it a lot.

          Cheers
          Graeme
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 15 , May 5, 2006
            > What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane?

            Hypothetically, the professionals think just under $2000 because of its
            size.

            Should be good
            > on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
            > would look nice.

            The hull does about 3.5 kts so you would have to be sure you would make way
            against the tide or use the tide to advantage.

            Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
            > as the Peero 12?

            It seems to be. QM is 30sq ft of area and is Gaff rigged.

            Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
            > should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
            > that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
            > another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
            > 10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
            > just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
            > longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
            > it a lot.

            I think I recall Jones saying the Tuckahoe was tender.

            > Cheers
            > Mike
          • davejthib
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2006
              I sold my Just Ducky to aq gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
              standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
              when he is not sdailing her.

              I would STRONGLY recommend you do not purse the folding mast as
              shown on the plans, just doesn't work out in real life and adds a
              lot of complexity to the rig. Get a good sail made, not just a piece
              of straight cloth. I personally found that as designed the sailors
              weight was too far forward and I moved the seat back six inches
              which made the boat balance on her lines much better.. Be careful
              sailin such a small boat in crowded waterways, you cannot be seen by
              yoyos in flying bridges of big motor boats.

              dave thibodeau

              > Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let
              you know
              > the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any
              sailing tips?

              > Mike

              Fred' posts
              > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
              away
              > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
              01930, Fax:
              > > (978) 282-1349
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Nels
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "davejthib" <davejthib@...> wrote:

                > I sold my Just Ducky to a gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
                > standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
                > when he is not sailing her.

                Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                written up?

                How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?

                Thanks, Nels
              • GarthAB
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                  A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                  curious:

                  http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm

                  I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                  getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?

                  I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                  stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                  have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.

                  Garth
                • Kenneth Grome
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                    How much are the plans for Queen Mab?

                    Kenneth Grome
                    Bagacay Boatworks
                  • davejthib
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                      Just Ducky was not a tippy boat, one of the things you have to
                      consider is your own weight, Just Ducky was sailed by several people
                      weighing over 200 pounds but it sat pretty low in the water, I often
                      wondered what the boat would be like if it were 4 to 6 inches wider.

                      I would certainly recommend strip planking over any other method of
                      construction to get the boat down to minimum weight, at 28 pounds the
                      Just Ducky could be easily carred in one hand !!. I personally do not
                      know of any Queen Mab constructed using glued lap ply as Bolger
                      specified that weighed less than 45 pounds.

                      Phil Bolger sells a video of me sailing the Just Ducky from his dock
                      in Gloucester Mass, the video runs about 30 minutes and is just
                      duducky if I have to offer an opinion.daDave thibodeau:

                      > A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                      > curious:
                      >
                      > http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm
                      >
                      > I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                      > getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?
                      >
                      > I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                      > stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                      > have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.
                      >
                      > Garth

                    • davejthib
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                        Phil Bolger drew the plans for the Queen Mab to be built using glued
                        lap ply and molds that became part of the finished hull.

                        I "smoothed " out the station mold lines in order to build it out of
                        cedar strips and ended up with a hull without any interior support
                        structure.

                        dave thibodeau

                        > Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                        > written up?
                        >
                        > How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?
                        >
                        > Thanks, Nels

                      • davejthib
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2006