Re: [bolger] Fibreglass Queen Mab

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4 8:55 PM
      The hull alone weighed 26.5 pounds. The weight surprised me. I thought about
      20 kgs. The gel coat is a bit thin as I have glass mat visible outside under
      light from the inside. Could have used another kilo of gel coat.

      I had to alter the bow a bit, widen the skeg and taper it otherwise the
      glassing and release would have been very hard. Phil thinks it looks okay
      but he said I would need a thicker rudder to compensate and to avoid
      turbulence between the rudder and the skeg, which can cause steering
      problems.

      As you can see, I am in the process of building a plug for a deck. I'll post
      better photos when I remove the deck and turn the hull over but it has to
      stay put for now.

      Ply boats are hard to sell in Australia I feel. I built it in glass so I
      would resell it easier later if necessary. The plan might have been to build
      one, sell the mould and have a free boat but the plug was complicated and at
      the end professionals had to be involved so it cost a bit. I plan to build
      two, one for me and another for my nephew. Might have a race. After that I
      am not sure. I might sell the mould or I might build some more as a hobby.
      Something failing after sale worries me with litigation the way it is,
      especially if there is personal injury. Getting insurance is very hard, as
      no broker has even got back to me with an offer of a policy. Lawyers think
      an as is disclaimer not much use, depends on the judge. Their suggestion
      was to form a company!

      So for now I finish it and go sailing. The Queensland, Australia Autumn sun
      is great now and it is very dry at about 46% humidity and 24 degrees.
      http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/local.jsp?obs=94576&fcast=94578&img=radar&rad=050&pcode=4000.
      The bad news is Brisbane water supply is at 31% and no rain in sight. We are
      close to level 3 water restrictions, which means no hoses, just buckets. No
      filling swimming pools either.

      > Queen Mab is certainly a small boat, but I'm really amazed that in GRP it
      > only weights 26.5 pounds. Does this include the decks? Please post some
      > pix!
      >
      > I really like Queen Mab by the way, it's a neat one-man sailboat. Are you
      > going to manufacture and sell them, is that why you built the mould?
      >
      > Kenneth Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks

      > On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:18:46 +1000, Mike wrote:
      >> I popped a modified for fibreglass (GRP) Queen Mab hull out of its
      >> mould Monday and the hull alone without anything added was 26.5
      >> pounds or 12 kg. It had two light coats of gel coat, a layer of 225
      >> gsm and two layers of 600 gsm chopped mat.

    • davejthib
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5 3:53 AM
        I am the builder of the first Queen Mab which I built using 1/4 cedar
        strips and covered with 4 oz fiberglass cloth inside and out.

        My FINISHED hull weighed 28 pounds.

        I think you will add 10 pounds the deck, centerboard, and fittings

        > I popped a modified for fibreglass (GRP) Queen Mab hull out of its
        mould Monday and the hull alone without anything added was 26.5 pounds
        or 12 kg. It had two light coats of gel coat, a layer of 225 gsm and
        two layers of 600 gsm chopped mat.

        > Mike

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 15 , May 5 6:20 PM
          Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let you know
          the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any sailing tips?

          Mike

          >I am the builder of the first Queen Mab which I built using 1/4 cedar
          > strips and covered with 4 oz fiberglass cloth inside and out.
          >
          > My FINISHED hull weighed 28 pounds.
          >
          > I think you will add 10 pounds the deck, centerboard, and fittings
          >>
          >> I popped a modified for fibreglass (GRP) Queen Mab hull out of its
          > mould Monday and the hull alone without anything added was 26.5 pounds
          > or 12 kg. It had two light coats of gel coat, a layer of 225 gsm and
          > two layers of 600 gsm chopped mat.
          >>
          >> Mike

          > horses
          > (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 15 , May 5 6:33 PM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:
            >Might have a race. After that I am not sure. I might sell the mould
            >or I might build some more as a hobby... company...

            Hi Mike,

            I see you've already posted some info on QM in Bolger Cartoons

            thanks for that. I had her confused with some other small sailboat.

            What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane? Should be good
            on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
            would look nice. Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
            as the Peero 12? Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
            should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
            that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
            another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
            10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
            just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
            longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
            it a lot.

            Cheers
            Graeme
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , May 5 8:44 PM
              > What $'s do you think one would sell for in Brisbane?

              Hypothetically, the professionals think just under $2000 because of its
              size.

              Should be good
              > on the river, or down the coast etc. A many coloured fleet at play
              > would look nice.

              The hull does about 3.5 kts so you would have to be sure you would make way
              against the tide or use the tide to advantage.

              Apart from the tabernacle, is'nt that the same rig
              > as the Peero 12?

              It seems to be. QM is 30sq ft of area and is Gaff rigged.

              Peero has a reputation for tippiness, this boat
              > should be more stable under sail and paddle well. Bolger's comment
              > that just leaning to the side in this boat is akin to hiking out in
              > another reminds me of Tom Firth Jones' comments about his Tuckahoe
              > 10 design in comparison to a Sabot (Toro). I cant look in his book
              > just now, but QM seems similar IIRC to the T10 only it was a bit
              > longer, many chined, daggerboard and sprit rigged - and Jones liked
              > it a lot.

              I think I recall Jones saying the Tuckahoe was tender.

              > Cheers
              > Mike
            • davejthib
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6 5:43 AM
                I sold my Just Ducky to aq gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
                standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
                when he is not sdailing her.

                I would STRONGLY recommend you do not purse the folding mast as
                shown on the plans, just doesn't work out in real life and adds a
                lot of complexity to the rig. Get a good sail made, not just a piece
                of straight cloth. I personally found that as designed the sailors
                weight was too far forward and I moved the seat back six inches
                which made the boat balance on her lines much better.. Be careful
                sailin such a small boat in crowded waterways, you cannot be seen by
                yoyos in flying bridges of big motor boats.

                dave thibodeau

                > Thank you for that. That weight sounds about right. I will let
                you know
                > the final weight. Are you still enjoying you Queen Mab? Any
                sailing tips?

                > Mike

                Fred' posts
                > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
                away
                > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                01930, Fax:
                > > (978) 282-1349
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Nels
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6 7:26 AM
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "davejthib" <davejthib@...> wrote:

                  > I sold my Just Ducky to a gentleman in Rhode Island who keeps it
                  > standing in the corner of his dining room as a piece of furniture
                  > when he is not sailing her.

                  Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                  written up?

                  How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?

                  Thanks, Nels
                • GarthAB
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6 9:02 AM
                    A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                    curious:

                    http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm

                    I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                    getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?

                    I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                    stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                    have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.

                    Garth
                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6 10:20 AM
                      How much are the plans for Queen Mab?

                      Kenneth Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                    • davejthib
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6 11:30 AM
                        Just Ducky was not a tippy boat, one of the things you have to
                        consider is your own weight, Just Ducky was sailed by several people
                        weighing over 200 pounds but it sat pretty low in the water, I often
                        wondered what the boat would be like if it were 4 to 6 inches wider.

                        I would certainly recommend strip planking over any other method of
                        construction to get the boat down to minimum weight, at 28 pounds the
                        Just Ducky could be easily carred in one hand !!. I personally do not
                        know of any Queen Mab constructed using glued lap ply as Bolger
                        specified that weighed less than 45 pounds.

                        Phil Bolger sells a video of me sailing the Just Ducky from his dock
                        in Gloucester Mass, the video runs about 30 minutes and is just
                        duducky if I have to offer an opinion.daDave thibodeau:

                        > A couple of pictures of Dave's Queen Mab on the web for those who are
                        > curious:
                        >
                        > http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/queen_mab/index.htm
                        >
                        > I love this little boat. Was she very tippy? Ever have to worry about
                        > getting dumped in the water by a strong breeze?
                        >
                        > I asked Jim Michalak if he'd be interested in designing a
                        > stitch-and-glue version. He said he'd think about it. If not, I may
                        > have a go at strip-planking the Bolger original.
                        >
                        > Garth

                      • davejthib
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6 11:39 AM
                          Phil Bolger drew the plans for the Queen Mab to be built using glued
                          lap ply and molds that became part of the finished hull.

                          I "smoothed " out the station mold lines in order to build it out of
                          cedar strips and ended up with a hull without any interior support
                          structure.

                          dave thibodeau

                          > Is there a table of offsets for this design. Or how are the plans
                          > written up?
                          >
                          > How many station molds are required for strip planking? Every foot?
                          >
                          > Thanks, Nels

                        • davejthib
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6 11:40 AM