Re: [bolger] Re: SIngleHander Schooner boom and gaff questions

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006
      On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 05:30 +0000, Susan Davis wrote:
      > > There's an inset on the sail plan page that shows "end of Booms".
      > > It shows a notch in the end vertically and a dowel rod through the
      > > boom horizontally.
      >
      > You cleat the outhaul and topping lift to this.

      OK, so both outhaul for the sail and the topping lift go through the
      notch and then tie off on one side of the dowel rod or the other. Got
      it!

      > > According to item #2 the topping lift passes through the notch to
      > > the mast, I assume being tied to the dowel rod. I assume the sail
      > > does not tie off through the notch.
      >
      > That's what I did. It's helpful to be able to adjust the foot
      > tension, and cleating it to the topping lift cleat gives you the
      > ability to do that.

      Got it thanks.

      > > So, is the tack of the sail laced through the hole in the front of
      > > the boom and then the clew tied around the dowel rod somehow,
      > > leaving everything in between loose fitted?
      >
      > No. You do as you describe, and additionally bend the foot of the
      > sail onto the boom by tying loops of line (which go through grommets
      > in the foot) around the boom.

      The sail plan didn't show any grommet holes along the foot of the sail
      or the head. Would you say three along the bottom of the foresail and 4
      along the bottom of the main sail be adequate ? I assume three or so
      along the head tied to the gaffs would be reasonable as well.

      > > I assume the the throat of the sail ties to the hole under the jaws
      > > of the gaff.
      >
      > Yes.
      >
      > > But, I don't see anything in the diagram about how the head
      > > of the sail can attach to the end of the gaff? Should there be a
      > > hole or a dowel rod there ?
      >
      > A hole.

      Ok

      > > 2. Any advantage for the jaw that sits on top of the booms and
      > > gaffs to be solid wood over plywood?
      >
      > No. Mine are plywood.

      Ok

      > > 3. The lines drawn representing the peak and throat halyards just
      > > go out to the gaff and touch it and stop. Are there supposed to be
      > > holes in specific locations for the peak and throat halyards to tie
      > > through
      >
      > Yes. In fact, I think the instructions mention this, and give a
      > proposed distance from the end of the spar. If not, you can take the
      > measurement off the plan.

      Yep, you are right, I missed it in items #3 & #4:

      3. Main peak halyard 1/4" by 26': standing end around gaff around gaff
      18" below peak.

      4. Main throat halyard 1/4" by 26': standing end around gaff above jaws.

      but it sound like your experience implies holes are best. Thanks.

      > > I guess by tying them you could slightly change their positions if
      > > need be.
      >
      > Just tying them won't work -- the halyard will slip on the spar. You
      > need to drill a hole.

      Got it.

      Thanks

      Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)