Re: Design With Plywood

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2006
      Isn't there supposed to be a pertinent book by a guy named Rabl? Of
      course, Michalak covers it too, in his "Secret...." book.
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill"
      <wetherillc@...> wrote:

      > Over the years, I have seen various oblique references to the method
      > necessary to properly design a boat fo plywood construction. The jist
      > is that one should use the surface of a cone in order for the plywood
      > to lay properly. Does anyone know of a book that describes the
      > drafting technique to accomplish this?
      >
      > Chris

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2006
        > Isn't there supposed to be a pertinent book by a guy named Rabl?

        The late Sam Rabl was one of those enthusiasts who drew a huge
        following due to being a prolific and amusing writer. He knew what he
        was doing as a designer since he earned his living in the big ship
        design/building business. His best-known book is Boatbuilding In Your
        Own Backyard, published 50 years ago or so, and somewhat out of date.
        It's about building, though, and not design.

        I think that Rabl may have published a design book, but if so, I've
        never seen it, nor do I know the title. It would be a great thing to find.

        Peter
      • Christopher C. Wetherill
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2006
          This title by Rabl is in print: "Ship and aircraft fairing and development,
          for draftsmen and loftsmen and sheet metal workers". I do not know if it
          answers my questions. I have it on order at my local book shop. Another
          title, "Practical Principles of Naval Architecture" is out of print, but
          some editions are on the used market.

          Chris

          > Isn't there supposed to be a pertinent book by a guy named Rabl?

          The late Sam Rabl was one of those enthusiasts who drew a huge
          following due to being a prolific and amusing writer. He knew what he
          was doing as a designer since he earned his living in the big ship
          design/building business. His best-known book is Boatbuilding In Your
          Own Backyard, published 50 years ago or so, and somewhat out of date.
          It's about building, though, and not design.

          I think that Rabl may have published a design book, but if so, I've
          never seen it, nor do I know the title. It would be a great thing to find.

          Peter

          Bolger rules!!!
          - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
          horses
          (978) 282-1349
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • welshman@ptialaska.net
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2006
            Looked it up on boofinder and got this one interesting comment

            The best introduction to working with and from boat lines ever printed." John Gardner, curator, Mystic Seaport Museum.

            HJ

            Message 5 of 19 , May 3, 2006
              > From: "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...>
              > Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: Design With Plywood

              There are two issues,

              (1) the strength/durability of plywood materials, and
              (2) the topology of developed shapes / the curvature of plywood.

              For (2), the development of curved shapes by bending flat sheets,
              you can skip the book theory altogether and experiment directly
              with computer programs that automatically take care of the mathatics
              of bending flat plates.

              I especially like the opensource software FreeShip.
              [Also, I like the Hulls.exe software.] Both of these
              allow you to easily experiment with the bending of flat plates
              into curved surfaces.

              My personal favorite is to print the experimental hulls onto
              thin cardboard, and use sissors and tape to make models.

              After just a little practice you can get from an idea in your head
              to a 3D scale model in about one hour.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/71601266/
            • Christopher C. Wetherill
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3, 2006
                I am looking for ways to do it with pencil and paper. I have been playing
                with hull.exe for a while and it's nice, but I like being able to do things
                the non-electric way.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 3, 2006
                  On 5/3/06, Christopher C. Wetherill <wetherillc@...> wrote:
                  > I am looking for ways to do it with pencil and paper. I have been playing
                  > with hull.exe for a while and it's nice, but I like being able to do things
                  > the non-electric way.

                  Can't argue with you there, as I too have worked to develop expanding panels
                  using pencil and paper. I also agree that hull.exe is nice. Though, FreeShip
                  has hull.exe beat ten times over when it comes to modeling and visualization,
                  key features when prototyping.

                  I have the personal theory that to get a boat design 'right' you need to go
                  through many many itierations by trial and error. This is possible in one's head
                  (but only if you are a genius like Bolger or Herreshoff), or with
                  computers (though
                  not with pencil + paper). Quick 'trial and error' prototyping is
                  practical now for
                  ordinary people for the first time in the history because of this software.
                • kreamer
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                    A piece of stiff paper of thin cardboard enforces its own "just like
                    plywood" rules. You can maintain a certain bottom-centerline profile (which
                    curve would be planar in the vertical orientation) and a certain planar
                    chine curve (with its plane vertical, horizontal, and fore-and-aft, or at
                    any other orientation), by fixing (gluing) in the workspace a thin planar
                    piece of heavy cardboard with the curve of your choice cut in its edge.

                    Then force the paper or cardboard against the rigid card-edge with fingers,
                    glue or complementary curves cut in other card-edges. The only rules being
                    enforced in this little system are that the paper will (must) act like
                    plywood, and the two card-edge curves will be maintained. The edges of the
                    paper (representing the plywood) can then be trimmed to a pleasing or
                    functional curve. The starting curves, alternatively, can be the shear and
                    chine. - Bill

                    _____

[...]

                    Alaska
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=B
                    oating+magazine&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=yX2hIRaAaZ
                    2gyk6hnDdobg> outdoors

                    Boating
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=
                    Boating+magazine&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=fUSwwDYyU
                    3pWaG8-PTCw9w> magazine

                    Boating
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=Bo
                    ating+magazine&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=KUX84hVBUAJ
                    OjiZ4u84Amw> safety

                    Great
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=Bo
                    ating+magazine&w3=Boating+safety&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=uAmYtxU-jpy
                    kdYS_JRw0eA> outdoors

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    on the web.

                    _____

                  • adventures_in_astrophotography
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                      Hi Bruce,

                      ...snip...
                      > I also agree that hull.exe is nice. Though, FreeShip
                      > has hull.exe beat ten times over when it comes to modeling and
                      > visualization, key features when prototyping.

                      Several years ago I used Plyboats, but it never ported quite right to
                      W2K, and since it has a lot of limitations (only two chines, among
                      others), I gave up on it. I've just downloaded Free!ship and look
                      forward to giving it a try. One question for you, though, is how
                      expanded panel dimensions are output from the program. Do I need
                      some other application that can read .dxf files, or can I just print
                      out the panel dimensions from Free!ship? Will it translate bulkhead
                      locations onto the panels?

                      I was thinking of starting with the offsets for Cartoon 40, scaling
                      the length at 125% per PCB's suggestion, and getting panel shapes and
                      dimensions from the application. Think this will work? If it does,
                      it would allow me to assemble the sides and bulkheads, then use a jig
                      to hold everything square, rather than making critical measurements
                      on the jig, erecting the bulkheads, then spiling the panel shapes.

                      > I have the personal theory that to get a boat design 'right' you
                      > need to go through many many itierations by trial and error.
                      ...snip...

                      I agree, and think it's true even using the software tools
                      available. Using Plyboats, I made many cardboard models of different
                      hull shapes, including a lot of sharpies and box-keel designs. It
                      was always interesting to see just how bad a model could look when
                      the wire-frame in the software looked so good. Slab-side sharpies in
                      particular can look fine on the screen, but not so great in "the
                      flesh." Part of the problem was Plyboats' limitation of fixing the
                      lowest point of the sheer at the point of maximum beam.

                      Jon Kolb
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                        > forward to giving it a try. One question for you, though, is how
                        > expanded panel dimensions are output from the program.

                        I am not the best person to answer that question, as I have not kept
                        up with Freeship since November of 2005. At that point in time, the
                        expanded panel & bulkhead dimensions was 'wishlisted' for software
                        development, and exporting to Autocad and a plotter was the best choice.

                        Check here:

                        or the Sourceforge Freeship pages.
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                          > > forward to giving it a try. One question for you, though, is how
                          > > expanded panel dimensions are output from the program.

                          I should have looked before clicking 'send' but the new version of
                          Freeship, according to the website, has the new feature

                          "Export boundary coordinates of developed plates to textfile"

                          Which seems to fit the bill.

                          http://www.freeship.org/
                        • Michael Collins
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4, 2006
                            Chris,
                            I've had some pretty interesting results using arcs or arches. Arcs can
                            be manipulated geometrically because their explicit mathematical
                            expression is relatively simple compared to NURBS. Arcs are simple to
                            loft. All you need to know is the radius of curvature and the
                            vertual center of radius. Using a compass or a string, you can draw
                            your arc.

                            I started using arcs as a means of analyzing other designers' work. For
                            example, looking at Phil Bolger's Tortis and Brick in the profile and
                            using the waterline as the chord, you see an approximate arc with a
                            camber of about 10% of the chord below the water line. I reduced this
                            arc to a single number, expressed as the arc Tan ( Camber/ (1/2
                            chord)). By looking at several designs, I found that an arc of about 10
                            degrees in the profile of the canoe body is characteristic of a
                            relatively slow boat capable of carrying a large load.

                            If chord is 10.7639 units in length, camber is 1.0, then I would call
                            this a 10.5258 degree arc. By naming it in degrees it is easier to
                            visuallize, since the angle is close to the entry angle.

                            These arcs' geometry can be easily manipulated with a calculator - Easy
                            to design with and loft in cardstock or plywood. I use a spreadsheet
                            and a caculator for complex designs. The camber of an arc in a plywood
                            pannel can be established from the arc in the profile and the angle of
                            the pannel from the vertical. For example, say you choose the arc for
                            the profile view, yet the topside is flared out 6 degrees. The profile
                            arc can then be rotated through 6 degrees using triginometry to find the
                            camber of the arc required on the plywood pannel. Now, you need to
                            know the chord for the arc in the plywood pannel.

                            Say you have a plan view with an arch for the side of a scow. This
                            waterline arc effects the same pannel we were just discussing. This
                            time we rotate the plan view arc until it's camber is perpendicular to
                            the camber of the arc we just rotated from the profile. The length of
                            the perimeter of the plan view arch rotated will give you the length of
                            the chord you would need to loft the pannel for the topside.

                            Sorry if this is confusing. It seems a bit complex to be describing by
                            text. Hopefully it gives you some idea about the concept of designing
                            with arcs. I'll try answering questions about the technique if you have
                            any.

                            Michael Collins

                          • Michael Collins
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 5, 2006

                              Christopher C. Wetherill wrote:

                              > I am looking for ways to do it with pencil and paper. I have been playing
                              > with hull.exe for a while and it's nice, but I like being able to do
                              > things
                              > the non-electric way.

                            • moose2much
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 6, 2006
                                Hello Everybody,

                                I have tried several of the DXF viewers and could not get any to
                                work. They all seemed to be teasers for paid products. The best
                                results I've had so far is with OpenOffice Draw available free from
                                www.OpenOffice.Org I need to work with it more. Started working with
                                Plyboats and then FreeShip.

                                Somehow I was able to make Plyboats work in XPpro and print to a
                                parallel laser printer. Even have an icon on the desktop that works.

                                From and Plyboats Email to Ray Clark:

                                I had some problems with the DEMO not accepting mouse and cursor
                                movement when I tried to run the program from the XP command promp.
                                I extracted the ZIP some other way in XP, maybe using XP's extractor
                                and an icon was placed on the desktop and the program now works.
                                This may help if someone else has the same problem

                                Plyboats running in whatever mysterious way actually takes much
                                more time to execute calculations than FreeShip.

                                Roger Van Arnam
                                Micanopy Beach Florida

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"