Re: Jessie Cooper Sail to Power conversion

  • The Peillet-Long Family
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 1:37 AM
      Frank,

      Far be in from me to discourage anyone, if this is your dream project, then go for it. That
      said, I find that it ALWAYS adds a ridiculous amount of time to a project when you start
      making changes rather than build it as designed.

      There are a couple of Bolger designs that would already fit the bill for what you describe,
      such as a Micro or Long Micro (Navigator versions). I would be tempted to build one of
      those to the plans, not even reducing the ballast, just leaving off the sailing rig. That way
      it would be easy for you or a future owner to add the sailing capability later. Fast
      Motorsailer is an option, as is Merlin/Marina Cruiser in a non-plywood design, though
      both would be more of a challenge to build, I think. I am sure other Bolger designs would
      suit as well.

      Free advice, worth at least as much as you paid for it! ;-)

      Good luck and let us know what you decide.

      Matthew