Re: The Great Loop in an AS-29

  • russingram
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2006
      Oh well, scallop season is over in September, so you'll miss that.
      I think you'll be able to go after spiny lobsters in the Keys,
      though!

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wagner <willers32@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > While the rest of my family and friends are freezing
      > in the snow, I'll be sipping margaritas at the Conch
      > Republic Seafood Company and munching on Key Lime pie
      > at Pepe's. (Yeah, I think Pepe's home made Pie is the
      > best in Key West; just my opinion. The ribs at Pepe's
      > are pretty good too.) Ahh...watching the sunset from
      > the deck of my own boat, while the tourists crowd the
      > decks of "America" and those huge catamarans...
      >
      > --- russingram <russingram@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Steinhatchee River on the west coast of Floriday
      > > will be the first
      > > deep water port you'll come to on that coast. It's
      > > an old sponge
      > > diving village, fast being taken over by condos. If
      > > you make there
      > > in July, I'll drive over from Gainesville (about 45
      > > minutes) and
      > > show you how to catch scallops (scallops in cream
      > > sauce over
      > > linguini...yum!)
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "willers32"
      > > <willers32@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Well, it's finally happening.
      > > > In just over two weeks I will be retiring from a
      > > 32 year career in
      > > > healthcare, selling the house and setting off on
      > > the adventure of a
      > > > lifetime.
      > > > I will be taking my AS-29 (launched last year) on
      > > the Great Loop
      > > tour
      > > > of the US. After my last day of work, I'll take
      > > about a month to
      > > get
      > > > the boat ready, etc. I expect to set sail
      > > approximately June 12,
      > > > weather permitting. I will be departing from
      > > Kingston NY and
      > > sailing
      > > > up the Hudson to Troy. From there it's through the
      > > Erie and Oswego
      > > > Canals to Lake Ontario, through the Trent-Severn
      > > to Lake Huron,
      > > down
      > > > Lake Michigan to Chicago. From Chicago, I'll take
      > > the Illinois to
      > > the
      > > > Mississippi, then the Ohio to the Tennessee and
      > > the Tenn-Tom Canal
      > > > the Gulf. I'll winter in the Keys, then make my
      > > way north along the
      > > > coast in the spring.
      > > > If there are any Bolgeristas along the way who'd
      > > like to see the
      > > AS-29
      > > > up close, or who can offer some suggestions as to
      > > particular
      > > places to
      > > > see, harbors or anchorages, please let me know.
      > > > The AS-29 seems ideally suited to this cruise as
      > > the canals feature
      > > > many low bridges. The 29's counter-balanced mast
      > > folds easily to
      > > get
      > > > under them, and the retractable bilgeboards keep
      > > the draft down to
      > > > mere 13".
      > > > Any input from Bolgeristas along the way will be

    • soussouchew
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2006
        I live in Charlevoix on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan.
        While I agree that you must respect Lake Michigan -- as well as
        any of the great lakes. You will find boats ranging from mega
        yachts down to canoes plying these waters all summer.

        The Michigan side of Lake Michigan has good harbors spaced
        about every 15 miles along its coast. Some, like the one here at
        Charlevoix, connect to smaller lakes with lots of great
        anchorages. The eastern shore of Lake Michigan is mostly sand
        beach. Some areas have miles of massive sand dunes rising
        from the beach.

        The prevailing winds are out of the west around here. This
        means that the waves often have a longer fetch than on the
        Wisconsin side. It is not recommended to beach a boat that can't
        be dragged completely out of the water, or to anchor off the
        beach overnight. However, hundreds of cruisers harbor-hop up
        and down this coast all season (May to September).

        Vince (Dakota)

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wesley Cox <inspirfe@...>
        wrote:

        > Beware, Lake Michigan can be down right wicked and the
        weather can
        > change very quickly. I've seen the chop at shore go from dead
        calm to
        > 4-5' in less than an hour. I live 4 blocks from the water in
        Algoma,
        > Wisconsin on the west side of the lake, due east of Green Bay
        (the
        > town). I don't know of any good anchorages. In fact, having
        driven up
        > and down the coast many times, most of the coast is rough,
        much rock,
        > not many nice sandy beaches except for the commercial
        marinas. There
        > are marinas here, in Kewaunee, Manitowoc, presumably
        Sheboygan, though
        > I've not actually seen it, and a nice one at Port Washington, just
        north
        > of Milwaukee. Between Sheboygan and Port Washington, I'm
        not sure. If
        > you are in my area, I would love to see an AS 29 up close and
        meet a
        > fellow adventurer. Good luck.
        >
        > willers32 wrote:
        >
        > >Well, it's finally happening.
        > >In just over two weeks I will be retiring from a 32 year career
        in
        > >healthcare, selling the house and setting off on the adventure
        of a
        > >lifetime.
        > >I will be taking my AS-29 (launched last year) on the Great
        Loop tour
        > >of the US. After my last day of work, I'll take about a month to
        get
        > >the boat ready, etc. I expect to set sail approximately June 12,
        > >weather permitting. I will be departing from Kingston NY and
        sailing
        > >up the Hudson to Troy. From there it's through the Erie and
        Oswego
        > >Canals to Lake Ontario, through the Trent-Severn to Lake
        Huron, down
        > >Lake Michigan to Chicago. From Chicago, I'll take the Illinois
        to the
        > >Mississippi, then the Ohio to the Tennessee and the
        Tenn-Tom Canal to

        bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Wagner
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2006
          Thanks for the advice. It pretty much confirms what
          the cruising guides say.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2006
            Mike,

            If you take the inside route up the Chesapeake Bay (which I recommend)
            and go through the Cheasapeak Delaware canal, you will be minutes from
            where I used to keep my AS-29. I would love to meet up - I'll bring
            my cabin clam skiff.

            Frank San Miguel
            Landenberg, PA