Re: Micro big enough for a young family?

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 26, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Derek Waters" <dgw@...> wrote:

      > Interesting idea. Micro's a deep hull...competent attention to
      >bracing the result up for rigidity to compensate the loss of the
      >roof and deck...

      There is a photo somewhere of a Chebacco, Sam's I think, that has
      been built without the cabin. Makes for a very roomy open boat, and
      a tent would give spacious overnight shelter. Micro, if built
      internally like a bigger Oldshoe hull should be sufficiently braced.

      >I imagine you would end up with a boat which would take a long time
      >to bail out after a rainstorm.

      A problem for all open boats, but a tent would keep out the rain. On
      the trailer, or in very rough conditions, a hard cockpit cover
      (hatch) could be fixed in position. Water would then drain to the
      open self draining aft well.

      >...Unless perhaps it were that rarity... with the foam floatation
      >installed as shown on the plans.

      I think they are rare, are'nt they? If done like an Oldshoe and if
      the worst happens and, say, they are holed, they may be actually
      safer with all the seperate under seat flotation chambers, and the
      huge covered storage box. Probably would'nt sink, and may still be
      able to make way.

      Cheers
      Graeme