Jessie Cooper Sail to Power conversion

  • Frank Orts
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2006
      Has anyone considered this type of conversion. I love the Cooper hull,
      have plans and am in the early stages of construction. Unfortunately,
      right after I started I was sent TDY to California so have too much
      time to consider options. My thought is to add a pilot house in place
      of the existing double berth, move the galley/dining area to the pilot
      house and rearrange the remaining area below decks to simple single
      berths on each side of the hull and a head. The conversion would be
      completed by the installation of a small diesel below the pilot house
      sole. The cockpit would remain virtually the same size. A fixed keel
      would be added to the bottom of the hull.

      Laugh, cry or give me your opinions.

      Frank
    • Jack&Lois
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
        Hello Frank. The hurricane damaged JC sitting next to my driveway and
        currently on my "to do" list, filed under restoration (or resurrection)
        projects looks an awful lot like what you describe, short of the small
        diesel. The original builder of this JC essentially installed a Fast Motor
        Sailor pilot house in place of JC's little raised box. He also laid out
        cabin and galley space pretty much as you have in mind. The interior set up
        is actually very similar to that of the Jochems schooner, assuming you have
        an idea of what that looks like. Contact me directly if you'd like me to
        send some pictures and/or drawings.

        jeb

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
          > Hello Frank. The hurricane damaged JC sitting next to my driveway and
          > jeb

          How did I not know that you owned a Jessie Cooper, my favorite Bolger
          boat. I too would love to see some pictures, of the inside and out.
          Either via email directly, or another way, whatever is easier for you.
        • gbship
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
            Frank: It's one of my favorite designs and your alterations seem well
            thought out. One concern would be with an inboard, would the prop be
            the lowest thing under the hull, and hence the first to hit the
            inevitable sandbar/oyster bar/ledge?

            Also, it's not a powerboat conversion, but have you seen Chuck
            Merrill's proposed Jessie modifications at:
            http://www.boatdesign.com/tomboy/pages/junkboy.htm

            Gary

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Orts" <fortsiii@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone considered this type of conversion. I love the Cooper
            hull,
            > have plans and am in the early stages of construction.
            Unfortunately,
            > right after I started I was sent TDY to California so have too much
            > time to consider options. My thought is to add a pilot house in
            place
            > of the existing double berth, move the galley/dining area to the
            pilot
            > house and rearrange the remaining area below decks to simple single
            > berths on each side of the hull and a head. The conversion would be
            > completed by the installation of a small diesel below the pilot
            house
            > sole. The cockpit would remain virtually the same size. A fixed
            keel
            > would be added to the bottom of the hull.
            >
            > Laugh, cry or give me your opinions.
            >
            > Frank

          • Frank Orts
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
              The prop would be protected by a keel mounted to the bottom of the
              hull. Of course an outboard would always be an option. I have seen
              Chuck's proposed modifications, I wish he would finish his analysis
              section.
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@...> wrote:

              > Frank: It's one of my favorite designs and your alterations seem
              well
              > thought out. One concern would be with an inboard, would the prop
              be
              > the lowest thing under the hull, and hence the first to hit the
              > inevitable sandbar/oyster bar/ledge?
              >
              > Also, it's not a powerboat conversion, but have you seen Chuck
              > Merrill's proposed Jessie modifications at:
              > http://www.boatdesign.com/tomboy/pages/junkboy.htm
              >
              > Gary
              >

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Orts" <fortsiii@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone considered this type of conversion. I love the Cooper
              > hull,
              > > have plans and am in the early stages of construction.
              > Unfortunately,
              > > right after I started I was sent TDY to California so have too
              much
              > > time to consider options. My thought is to add a pilot house in
              > place
              > > of the existing double berth, move the galley/dining area to the
              > pilot
              > > house and rearrange the remaining area below decks to simple
              single
              > > berths on each side of the hull and a head. The conversion would
              be
              > > completed by the installation of a small diesel below the pilot
              > house
              > > sole. The cockpit would remain virtually the same size. A fixed
              > keel
              > > would be added to the bottom of the hull.
              > >
              > > Laugh, cry or give me your opinions.
              > >
              > > Frank

            • The Peillet-Long Family
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
                Frank,

                Far be in from me to discourage anyone, if this is your dream project, then go for it. That
                said, I find that it ALWAYS adds a ridiculous amount of time to a project when you start
                making changes rather than build it as designed.

                There are a couple of Bolger designs that would already fit the bill for what you describe,
                such as a Micro or Long Micro (Navigator versions). I would be tempted to build one of
                those to the plans, not even reducing the ballast, just leaving off the sailing rig. That way
                it would be easy for you or a future owner to add the sailing capability later. Fast
                Motorsailer is an option, as is Merlin/Marina Cruiser in a non-plywood design, though
                both would be more of a challenge to build, I think. I am sure other Bolger designs would
                suit as well.

                Free advice, worth at least as much as you paid for it! ;-)

                Good luck and let us know what you decide.

                Matthew