Any experience with Finland Birch Marine Plywood?

  • glen_gibson@3com.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2000
      My local exotic woods retailer has a reasonable price on "Finland Birch Marine
      Plywood, 100% birch throughout. Grade S/BB. I'll be using it in 3/8".

      Any feedback or knowledge on such a thing?

      Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the great responses to my many questions!

      Thank!

      Glen @ finishing main mast, moving onto the hull !!!!
    • Sakari Aaltonen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2000

        > My local exotic woods retailer has a reasonable price on "Finland Birch Marine
        > Plywood, 100% birch throughout. Grade S/BB. I'll be using it in 3/8".
        >
        > Any feedback or knowledge on such a thing?

        It's generally accepted here (in Finland), that birch rots easily,
        and it is not used for boatbuilding at all.

        The preferred local woods for boatbuilding are fir (Picea abies)
        and pine (Pinus silvestris); this goes for plywood, too.

        I think Finnish birch plywood is pretty high quality as plywoods go.
        However, this "quality" just means that the surface is very even and
        uniform and that there are few or no knots and voids. It doesn't mean
        durability. I have never seen birch plywood advertised as being good
        for *marine* use.

        Sakari Aaltonen
      • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000
          Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth:
          I own two folding kayaks - a Klepper and a Nautiraid, both have wooden
          frames. The Klepper (1967 vintage) has ash laterals and plywood mahogany
          floors, reinforcements, etc. The Nautiraid (built in 1995) is also mostly
          ash with floors, etc. of Finnish Birch, same thickness as the Klepper's
          (thin! haven't measured it). It may be partially due to the age, but the
          Klepper's plywood is very brittle, whereas the Nautiraid's is very flexible
          and springy. I recently revarnished the Nautiraid frame, and where the
          plywood had been stressed (middle of floor, no support underneath, feet
          often land there getting in/out) it was slightly discolored, where the grain
          of the wood had stretched and cracked the varnish along the grain, allowing
          water in; but it held up well and was only slightly graying. I've already
          had to fiberglass underneath all the floors of my Klepper where they've
          busted out. Since around the early 1970's, Klepper now uses Birch as well,
          which may say something.......... The birch seems very resilient and strong,
          good glue. I think it would be find if well encapsulated in epoxy; I don't
          know how long it would withstand soaking though.

          Paul Lefebvre
          The Woods Hole Research Center
          P.O. Box 296
          13 Church St. (UPS/FEDEX delivery only)