Re: RE Chebacco trailing

  • Samson family
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hi,

      I tow my Chebacco behind a 1900cc diesel station wagon. No probs so far,
      except that trailering makes me nervous! Diesel engines have incredible
      torque for their size.

      The law on this side of the Pond says that weight of trailer+boat should not
      exceed 50% of the unloaded weight of the towing vehicle. If it does, surge
      brakes are required by law. I've got surge brakes on mine and they work
      nicely, though they're much more liable to corrosion damage than unbraked
      wheels/bearings. F'rinstance, you can't use 'bearing buddies' to feed the
      bearings with grease under pressure - some safety thing I guess. For that
      reason, I prefer to launch and retrieve when there's a crane around. Ten
      quid each way, and a bargain when it keeps my expensive trailer out of the
      briny.

      The trailer itself is a two-wheel job, with little 10" wheels and hefty,
      high pressure tyres. It's really designed for powerboats, but that's fine
      for the shallow hulled Chebacco. Also, you don't need a mast support - it
      fits in the hull for trailering. I poke the end into the cabin, cushioned
      with a few bits of blanket where it rests on things.

      Bill Samson