Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival

  • jkohnen@efn.org
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2000
      I've got some of the pictures I took at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival
      & Crab Feed put into my Web pages:

      http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

      For a limited time I've put some of the photos that didn't quite make the
      grade online here as a bonus:

      http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/00/Bonus/

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14, 2002
        I've put some of the pictures I took at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival
        & Crab Feed here:

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

        The weather was great and there were lots of nice boats and good people
        there!

        --
        John <jkohnen@...>
        http://www.boat-links.com/
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
          The Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival is next weekend, April 26-27, in
          beautiful Depoe Bay, Oregon, "the world's smallest harbor".

          http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

          The Port Townsend festival is bigger, but the Depoe Bay festival is nicer!
          <g>

          --
          John <jkohnen@...>
          http://www.boat-links.com/
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10, 2004
            The Depoe Bay Wooden Boat festival, in beautiful Depoe Bay, Oregon, is in
            two weeks -- April 24 & 25:

            http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

            For more information about the festival, or to enter a boat for display
            (free, it's all free!), contact Jack Brown <mjbrown@...>.

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            http://www.boat-links.com/
            Message 5 of 18 , May 15, 2004
              I finally got around to putting some photos from last month's Festival in
              Depoe Bay, Oregon online:

              http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

              Enjoy!

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/
              Message 6 of 18 , May 16, 2004
                --- jhkohnen@ wrote:
                > ..some photos from
                > last month's Festival in
                > Depoe Bay, Oregon online:
                >
                > http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/

                Thanks a million for those photos.

                I really enjoyed the 'Poulsbo Boat'.
              • builtaboat
                Message 7 of 18 , May 16, 2004
                  Thanks John, we do enjoy the pictures every year!
                • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 19, 2004
                    So did I! That's the kind of motorboat I like! The Poulsbo boat really slid
                    through the water nicely, hardly any wake. :o) I was surprised at how quiet
                    the old Wisconsin was, being that it's air-cooled, I guess there's enough
                    iron in it to damp the mechanical noise. The muffler off a Hardly Ableson
                    cut the exhaust down to a nice "tunk-tunk-tunk". I'd seen Poulsbo boats
                    before, but this was the first I'd seen in action. Poulsbo boats are old-
                    fashioned, developed back when power was expensive, so one tried to get the
                    most of a horsepower. I imagine some of the Atkin motorboats would be as
                    pleasant to be around, for the same reason.

                    On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:19:36 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Hallman wrote:

                    > > http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/
                    >
                    > Thanks a million for those photos.
                    >
                    > I really enjoyed the 'Poulsbo Boat'.

                    --
                    John <jkohnen@...>
                    http://www.boat-links.com/
                    "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
                    "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
                    <Alfred North Whitehead>
                  • John Kohnen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 6, 2007
                      I've finally put some of the photos I took online:

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157600301602021/

                      --
                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                        Here are some photos I took at the festival at Depoe Bay, Oregon last
                        month:

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157604839150050/

                        --
                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                          Hi John,
                          Thanks for posting the pix, they're always appreciated, great & welcome. They make me wish I was there, the places, the boats are truly beautiful. I once saw a "49' wooden Huckins, Linwood" in the color green as your boat. Nice color, your boat looks great as the Huckins did.
                          Do you or anyone else happen to where I can find plans for the "Portuguese style" skiffs? I particularly like the red "Lil Woody" its seat looked real comfy. They're neat & look real easy unless I have to design it myself, I tend to over complicate simple things. Mostly I would need the length, beam, height of the topsides, but plans would be best.
                          Looking forward to the next set, thanks, Mike

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                            Michael Walther <michawalth3@...> wrote:

                            > Do you or anyone else happen to where I can find plans for the
                            "Portuguese style" skiffs?

                            Hannu Vartiala's pages, perhaps?

                            http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/dinghy1/simboii.htm
                          • dirtsailor2003
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                              Yes those boats were built based on the lines from Hannu Vartiala's site.

                              Dirtsailor

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                                To Alefoot, Wow, your very quick (a search demon), a great little site, helpful & bookmarked, thank you very much. Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the near 6ft I thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro manageable and a quick 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool little boat:)
                                Thanks again, Mike
                                PS I thought I sent this earlier (found in drafts folder), sorry it took so long.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                                  Dick Mitsch was "inspired" by Hannu's Portuguese skiff plans. Dick can
                                  never follow anybody else's boat plans. <g> His brother and nephew's boats
                                  are probably close to Hannu's shape and dimensions, but Dick's own boat,
                                  Nemo, was built short enough to fit into the 6' bed of his pickup with the
                                  tailgate closed -- leaving about a half inch to spare.

                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/99965516@N00/

                                  http://www.gsahv.pp.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm

                                  On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:58:55 -0700, Michael W wrote:

                                  > Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the near 6ft I
                                  > thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro manageable and a quick
                                  > 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool little boat:)

                                  John <jkohnen@...>
                                  I must say I find television very educational. The minute
                                  somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
                                  <Groucho Marx>
                                • Michael Walther
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                                    Hi John,
                                    Can't thank you enough for this, much praised be heaped upon you. Depoe Bay is a beautiful place. As usual the pix are great and very appreciated, at least by me. It was also neat to see in the background of a couple shots one of the last wooden production boats by Trojan Yacht, still around.
                                    I'm thinking that Dick's boat with the seat in his son Joe's boat would be perfection. After all this, would you happen to know any thing about it? Or how I might contact them? I didn't see a link or web address.
                                    Thanks again, Mike

                                    > never follow anybody else's boat plans. <g> His
                                    > brother and nephew's boats
                                    > are probably close to Hannu's shape and dimensions,
                                    > but Dick's own boat,
                                    > Nemo, was built short enough to fit into the 6' bed of
                                    > his pickup with the
                                    > tailgate closed -- leaving about a half inch to spare.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/99965516@N00/
                                    >
                                    > http://www.gsahv.pp.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm
                                    >
                                    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:58:55 -0700, Michael W wrote:

                                    > > Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the
                                    > near 6ft I
                                    > > thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro
                                    > manageable and a quick
                                    > > 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool
                                    > little boat:)
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > John <jkohnen@...>
                                    > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
                                    > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good
                                    > book.
                                    > <Groucho Marx>
                                    >
                                    > ------------------------------------

                                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
                                    > flogging dead horses
                                    > thanks, Fred' posts
                                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and
                                    > snip away
                                    > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
                                    > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                    > - Open discussion:
                                    > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
                                    > Groups Links

                                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                  • Patrick Crockett
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                      I've thought about tossing a boat into the tidal basin to play, and
                                      wondered if it is allowed. I know there are paddle boats in there, but I
                                      thought perhaps the Park Service did not allow just anybody to put a
                                      boat in. Is it allowed?

                                      Patrick

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                        Hi Patrick & Group, I don't know for sure, I don't have the tiny boat yet, so I haven't called or checked the site for info yet. From what I've seen, but not studied of the map it's all connected & I've seen the boats in the river, again I'm assuming. I seem to remember seeing private boats there also. After all, if the water can get in & the boats can get out? As long as it's people powered, I can't see the objection, other than the boat rentals have the exclusive rights which means all citizens need to write their congressman & Park 'Service' to get that changed & money to repair, reopen the entire C&O Canal as well. There are businesses & towns that would benefit along with new jobs in boating industry the entire length.
                                        That's the best I can give you at this moment, Mike