Re: [bolger] Spray equipment for Latex?

  • David Beede
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
      I sprayed lacquer finishes on musical instruments I built for 15 years. So I'm
      familiar with professional equipment.
      However, I found one of the less expensive Wagners work fairly well for latex. I
      first borrowed one from a neighbor then got one at a garage sale for $20 but I think
      they sell for about $60 to $100 bucks depending on features. I used the quart
      hopper, but it has feed tubes for larger jobs. After using a foam roller on my first
      boat, it was a pleasure spraying frames and bulkheads. It ain't devilbis but it
      ain't bad.
      Tip. One of the pains in the ass is all it takes to dismantle and clean the
      gizmo. I've found you can unscrew the spray head, rinse it and then place a piece of
      plastic (grocery bag type) over the nozzle and screw it back on. You can then leave
      it as long as overnight and still have it spray fine.
      David

      SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
      Feed someone.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
      Save a little rain forest.
      http://rainforest.care2.com/front.html/player12296

      Simplicity Boats (& mirror sites)
      http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/index.html
      http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/index.html
      Here's my latest boat:
      http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
      http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/featherwind.html
      Quasi esoteric musical instruments
      http://unicornstrings.com
    • Gordon Couger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
        > glen_gibson@... wrote:
        >
        > > While I'm not looking to build a showroom finish Micro, I'm also not too
        > > interested in one with brush marks or roller stipple on it, either. So
        I was
        > > wondering: Does anyone have any suggestions to low cost spray paint
        systems,
        > > such as Wagner Power Painters or low cost HVLP systems, either
        compressor driven
        > > or turbine driven? I'm planning on using good old exterior latex
        housepaint on
        > > my Micro. I can amortize the cost over some other planned home
        improvement
        > > projects ;-)

        Many paint stores rent good airless spray rigs if you buy the paint from
        them. Here
        it is 40 bucks a day. They are a lot better than the Wagner and other
        consumer
        spray guns. They do expect you to clean it up when you are done. If you are
        using
        water based paint that's not a big problem.

        Gordon

        Gordon Couger gcouger@...

        Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
        405 624-2855 GMT -6:00
      • Michael Surface
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2000
          I have a power painter and have used it on a lot of home projects. It works
          well with both oils and letex based paints and can give a nice finish if you
          are carefull. If you get to close, or move the sprayer too slow you can get
          runs. Sense a lot of the boats are painted in letex exterior house paints I
          can not see why this would not work. I have not used it on a boat but was
          thinking about it (boat is still in large sheets of plywood state :)

          Michael Surface