Re: [bolger] dories, not necessarily 100% on bolger topic

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 4, 2006
      I agree with Harry. Twenty years ago, I also had a Gloucester Gull. I also had a high stress job and I would row the Gull the 7 mile length of a lake a friend lived on, as a stress reliever. The windier the better. Sometimes 25 to 30 MPH. The lake ran north/south and when the wind was out of the north and fast I'd row to the upper end of the lake and just about fly back. ( For the Minnesotans this was lake Carlos outside Alexandria.)

      Waves were choppy and with the seven mile fetch they were occassionally two feet plus at the south end. The Gull was just fine in the chop. Except that at times when on top of a wave if the wind and waves weren't aligned right the boat would weathervane. That can be an interesting thing in a boat that sits so high in the water and doesn't have much initial bouyancy. I fastened a centered skeg ( a 2" x 2" ripped from treated yellow pine) to the bottom of the hull and the boat tracked much better after that.

      Jim
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 4, 2006