Re: Sprits, Wishbones and Dovkies

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
      <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      > I really think that you are trying to correct a problem which
      either doesn't exist or, if it does, is so insignificant that it
      isn't worth fooling with. I owned a Dovekie for several years and
      couldn't tell any difference between the "good" tack and
      the "bad"tack. I would suggest that you try it as PCB drew it and,
      if it bothers you, implement a fix. Periodically when I build a
      boat I figure that I'm smarter than the designer. Sometimes I'm
      right, but not often. And sometimes the shortcomings of my solution
      are major :<) Still, we who build our own boats are entitled to
      have things the way we like them. Nonetheless, I think I'd try
      PCB's way first.

      I'll second that(!) and add that on my ex-Micro,LESTAT, I can't
      recall ever noticing a deficiency on one tack or the other over
      several years of sailing in all sorts of weather but made a point of
      keeping the mizzen sprit-boom rigged on the opposite side,relative
      to the main sprit-boom...just is case there was a difference :-)
      Besides,only multi-millionaire-winning-is-EVERYTHING-die-hard-racers
      really ever care about the 1/100th of a knot difference such-n-such
      a gadget may or may not provide when out sailing/racing.
      Considering that most of us are limited in the number of hours worth
      of leisure time we have to burn,it would appear better to introduce
      devices which will actually keep us "out there" longer.....as in the
      cell phone call to our spouse,"Hi honey,it looks like I'm gonna be a
      bit late coming home since the wind is slowly dying and is coming
      over the "wrong" side of the sprit-boom.....again.....love ya,bye!"
      Beyond that,most of us have as our destination,when we head out for
      a sail,the very same point of departure! Why rush to get back
      there,unless your really do not like spending time on the water! :-D

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,looking forward to the day when I can call work and
      say,"Hi boss,can't come in today,there is hardly any wind,not a
      cloud in the sky,lots-o-beer left in the cooler,girlfriend gettin'
      frisky and the darn motor won't shut itself off!"...from along the
      shores of the rainy St.Lawrence...............
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
        Tech dinghy racers on the Charles River very often have no money but
        care a lot about 1/100th of a knot. Given my abilities, I needed at
        least 1/10 knot. Saw a lot of transoms racing with that crowd.

        If you plotted the courses of those who crossed the line just after
        the signal, it would look like a diagram of how to knit a sweater.
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:
        snip
        > Besides,only multi-millionaire-winning-is-EVERYTHING-die-hard-racers
        > really ever care about the 1/100th of a knot difference such-n-such
        > a gadget may or may not provide when out sailing/racing.
        snip
      • skiffsalor2000
        Message 3 of 12 , May 14, 2006
          Sailors,

          I agree with John and built PCB Gypsy to plan including the sail plan.
          The boat has been in storage for a couple of years but I am ready now to
          get back into it. My question - what is a simple approach to improving
          the sheet? Hanging on to that line - there has to be a good simple way
          to rig the sheet so that it can be quickly released saving disaster. I
          bought a couple of simple blocks but not real sure what to do with them.

          Mike

          <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

          > I really think that you are trying to correct a problem which either
          doesn't exist or, if it does, is so insignificant that it isn't worth
          fooling with. I owned a Dovekie for several years and couldn't tell any
          difference between the "good" tack and the "bad"tack. I would suggest
          that you try it as PCB drew it and, if it bothers you, implement a fix.
          Periodically when I build a boat I figure that I'm smarter than the
          designer. Sometimes I'm right, but not often. And sometimes the
          shortcomings of my solution are major :<) Still, we who build our own
          boats are entitled to have things the way we like them. Nonetheless, I
          think I'd try PCB's way first.

          > John T

          Fax: (978) 282-1349

          > Great outdoors

          Service.

          ------

          3/31/2006

        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 12 , May 14, 2006
            Mike,

            PCB frequently leaves details up to the builder, and I'm not sure how you have the sheet rigged now.

            A traditional approach is to install a rack with a pin or hook on the inboard side of either gunwale. The sheet is hooked around the pin and the pin takes the strain of the sheet. It is, of course, necessary to move the sheet to the opposite pin on each tack. The location of the pin fore and aft has some impact on sail performance, so some experimentation is needed.

            Another approach is to mount a block on the rudder head. Run the sheet through the block and wind it a turn or two around the tiller (you want a spiral effect). Hold the sheet with the hand you are steering with--squeezing the sheet against the tiller. Friction between the sheet and the tiller takes the strain, but the sheet can be released instantly by relaxing your hand. NOTE: Sheeting to the rudder head can exert an upward force on the rudder; perhaps enough to unship it. This is a really bad thing when you are under sail. The solution is to make or buy a metal clip which will keep the pintle from rising.

            If you really want to get complicated, check out local one design sailboats (Lightnings are about the most Rube Goldberg arangements, but they work) and copy what you think might work for you.

            With a fairly small sail, I would try to keep it simple first.

            John T

            <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

            > I really think that you are trying to correct a problem which either
            doesn't exist or, if it does, is so insignificant that it isn't worth
            fooling with. I owned a Dovekie for several years and couldn't tell any
            difference between the "good" tack and the "bad"tack. I would suggest
            that you try it as PCB drew it and, if it bothers you, implement a fix.
            Periodically when I build a boat I figure that I'm smarter than the
            designer. Sometimes I'm right, but not often. And sometimes the
            shortcomings of my solution are major :<) Still, we who build our own
            boats are entitled to have things the way we like them. Nonetheless, I
            think I'd try PCB's way first.

            > John T

            Fax: (978) 282-1349

            > Great outdoors