Re: [bolger] Re: A family motor/sail cruiser?

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 4, 2006
      The UN FAO boat designs are here:

      http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W7260E/W7260E00.HTM

      William Atkin designed several motorboats with auxiliary sails. It's a
      good idea if you keep the rig simple. Wm. favored a single standing
      lugsail:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/Periwinkl.html

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/LittleSilver.html

      But got more complicated for one of my favorites (John's influence? <g>):

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Surprise.html

      On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:35:18 -0700, Lincoln Ross wrote:

      > Also, if you can do without sails, I think it was some UN agency that
      > had some neat looking low powered low tech fishing boats for
      > construction locally in the third world. But I don't rembember the
      > URL.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      He could do anything he put his mind to, except put on a white shirt and
      tie. <said of Clifford James Dickson by his daughter>
    • The Peillet-Long Family
      Message 56 of 56 , May 30, 2006
        Thanks for the tip, Bruce!

        If anyone else, like me, was a little confused by Bruce's links, here is a direct link to his
        Abbondanza 24 scans from MAIB:

        http://hallman.org/bolger/652/

        Those scans are exactly what Phil sent me, though of course the drawings that I received
        are clearer.

        As for the letter, this is what Phil wrote me, dated 5/13/06:

        "Dear Mr. Long,

        Thanks for yours of May 9. The enclosed study material is as close as we can come
        with an extant design to your wish list. With an awning over the cockpit and perhaps a
        longer helm shelter, it looks as though it might just do it if the costing works out. We can
        not undertake any modifications to it at this time.

        Plans of Abbondanza 24, our Design #652, are available for $300.00 to build one boat,
        sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.

        Sincerely,

        Phil Bolger"

        I am intrigued by the design, which might well fit our needs. The bulwarks and rails aft
        and high rails forward are appealing to me with three little kids to keep out of harm's way.
        I'll keep thinking, and follow up once I get to Tunis.

        Cheers all,

        Matthew