Re: A family motor/sail cruiser?

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 2, 2006
      I wonder if you won't find some old boat already there that is really
      cool? Seems like a possibility.

      Also, if you can do without sails, I think it was some UN agency that
      had some neat looking low powered low tech fishing boats for
      construction locally in the third world. But I don't rembember the
      URL. As I recall, Bolger says sails are a lot of extra trouble.

      Seems to me, if you are going to cruise around, Birdwatcher, or a
      simplified Birdwatcher derivative,possibly from Michalak, might make
      more sense. Unless you want to get done building about the time you
      leave! I can't imagine "cruising" in Zephyr. Or sailing it in much
      more than a Zephyr, tho I haven't sailed one, or even seen one.

      Good luck with the project.
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "The Peillet-Long Family"
      <owlnmole@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Nels, Kenneth, Puck & Bill for your thoughts.
      >
      > I would be building there or having it built, depending on time and
      what kind of wood/
      > plywood/etc. is available locally. If building myself, I should
      probably just go with one of
      > the many small boat plans I already have--Zephyr for a light,
      unballasted sailboat, or
      > Storm Petrel with railings added all around using the same sail, or
      a Micro.

      > A couple of you mentioned the 2nd generation Fast Motorcruiser,
      which would be practical
      > but require a larger engine than I want and, honestly, I don't like
      the look of the cutwater
      > hull shape.
      >
      > If I have to have it built, then I suspect a more traditional design
      is likely to suit local
      > workshops better. I already have plans for a Phil's Mouser/Garfield
      catboat, one of his
      > early designs. Among other tradional designs, I don't think I could
      go wrong with an Atkin
      > Shoreliner, though I am still tempted by Phil's Merlin (Marina
      Cruiser) design.

      > Cheers!
      >
      > Matthew
      > Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

    • The Peillet-Long Family
      Message 56 of 56 , May 30, 2006
        Thanks for the tip, Bruce!

        If anyone else, like me, was a little confused by Bruce's links, here is a direct link to his
        Abbondanza 24 scans from MAIB:

        http://hallman.org/bolger/652/

        Those scans are exactly what Phil sent me, though of course the drawings that I received
        are clearer.

        As for the letter, this is what Phil wrote me, dated 5/13/06:

        "Dear Mr. Long,

        Thanks for yours of May 9. The enclosed study material is as close as we can come
        with an extant design to your wish list. With an awning over the cockpit and perhaps a
        longer helm shelter, it looks as though it might just do it if the costing works out. We can
        not undertake any modifications to it at this time.

        Plans of Abbondanza 24, our Design #652, are available for $300.00 to build one boat,
        sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.

        Sincerely,

        Phil Bolger"

        I am intrigued by the design, which might well fit our needs. The bulwarks and rails aft
        and high rails forward are appealing to me with three little kids to keep out of harm's way.
        I'll keep thinking, and follow up once I get to Tunis.

        Cheers all,

        Matthew