Re: [bolger] Re: Bobcat mast

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 8:36 PM
      > It is getting increasingly difficult for me to set the
      > mast in the boat at the ramps I frequent. So, I'm trying to figure
      > out a tabernacle type arrangement that will work without having too
      > high an ugly factor. Here in the middle of Minnesota there is a
      > dearth of knowledgable people to talk this over with.

      I would consider a tabernacle like the one on chebacco as suggested earlier, and I would even go so far as to add a small hydraulic jack -- set at an angle between the deck and the aft side of the mast -- for help in raising and lowering the mast if necessary.

      You will need to reinforce your deck (and possibly your mast) where the jack would push against them, but these types of jacks are really cheap for the 2 ton and 5 ton models, and probably either one would easily handle the work of rotating the mast in a tabernacle with minimal effort on your part.

      Even a small child could raise and lower the mast using a system like this, and if the jack is too ugly for you, just build and install the brackets that it would push against, but remove the jack and stow it when it's not actually being used.

      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boat Works
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 9:33 AM
        Hi All,

        At this point I am thinking that I will be doing either a Chebecco type tabernacle, a hinge arrangement similar to that used on at least some Weekenders or a combination of both - that is a hinge fore and aft with side pieces like the Chebacco. In the last case the side pieces would be a part of the lower section of the mast that is then pinned through the upper section. The height of the boom above the deck works against using this last. Also, I will definitely keep the lower section of the mast to carry the weight rather than trying to beef up the foredeck to carry it.

        Whichever method I use the mast will be plugged and I'll plan on three stays but will start out with a forestay without a bowsprit. We'll see how it goes.

        Jim