Re: Bobcat mast

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <allaire@...> wrote:

      > I built a Bobcat catboat a few years ago. I built the mast as
      designed and it works fine. However, I am having a problem as I
      age. That is it is getting increasingly difficult for me to set the
      mast in the boat at the ramps I frequent. So, I'm trying to figure
      out a tabernacle type arrangement that will work without having too
      high an ugly factor. Here in the middle of Minnesota there is a
      dearth of knowledgable people to talk this over with.

      > O recognize that switching to an aluminum mast would solve the
      problem but I'd really like the mast to be a wood one. I have no
      problem adding stays and, if necessary, a bowsprit for a forestay.

      > I also know that if I add a bowsprit I'll end up wanting to add a
      sail up there.

      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jim

      If you go here you will see an example of a tabernacle on a Chebacco
      which looks pretty good to my eye. Some Pictures - David Nedder

      http://www.chebacco.com/articles/018/01/article.htm

      But first I would look at John's idea. Make a saw-horse type frame
      of some kind to support the lower end while you walk the mast up
      from the cockpit. I would design it and practice it in my driveway
      first - while not even being in the boat. A fairly small framework
      that attaches temporarily at the forward end of the cockpit might
      work - or aft end of the deck might work too.

      Another option is to ask for help and treat whoever does to a drink.

      Nels
    • Bob Chamberland
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi Jim,

        Yes manhandling that mast alone is getting to be a chore for me also.
        I suspect that you've outlined the solution which is stays and
        bowsprit. I'm looking at the drawings now and the real problem is the
        boom almost right down on the deck right where any tabernacle is going
        to be. A hinged mast would be simple with a stayed mast except if
        built as designed it is hollow at the bottom. I would build a new
        mast. I'm not savvy enough to figure where the stays should attach. My
        guess is that a forestay would attach just above the gaff. I would
        worry that an unintentional jybe would demolish the shroud. Perhaps a
        tabernacle arrangement would work if you dispensed with the boom jaw
        and used a gooseneck instead. In any event it will be quite a project.
        In my humble opinion any other rig-sailboard sails etc- would negate
        any reason to have a Bobcat. I have a set of drawings for Martha Jane.
        I think that arrangement could be the basis for a solution. I would
        suggest thinking of it as a hinge rather that the counterbalanced
        arrangement of MJ. No stays would be needed. It would not be a large
        chore to raise the Bobcat mast if it were hinged. The problem is
        lifting it, holding it up and dropping it through all those holes.
        Bob Chamberland

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <allaire@...> wrote:

        > I built a Bobcat catboat a few years ago. I built the mast as
        designed and it works fine. However, I am having a problem as I age.
        That is it is getting increasingly difficult for me to set the mast
        in the boat at the ramps I frequent. So, I'm trying to figure out a
        tabernacle type arrangement that will work without having too high an
        ugly factor. Here in the middle of Minnesota there is a dearth of
        knowledgable people to talk this over with.

        > O recognize that switching to an aluminum mast would solve the
        problem but I'd really like the mast to be a wood one. I have no
        problem adding stays and, if necessary, a bowsprit for a forestay.

        > I also know that if I add a bowsprit I'll end up wanting to add a
        sail up there.

        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jim

      • Bob Chamberland
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi Jim,

          Yes manhandling that mast alone is getting to be a chore for me also.
          I suspect that you've outlined the solution which is stays and
          bowsprit. I'm looking at the drawings now and the real problem is the
          boom almost right down on the deck right where any tabernacle is going
          to be. A hinged mast would be simple with a stayed mast except if
          built as designed it is hollow at the bottom. I would build a new
          mast. I'm not savvy enough to figure where the stays should attach. My
          guess is that a forestay would attach just above the gaff. I would
          worry that an unintentional jybe would demolish the shroud. Perhaps a
          tabernacle arrangement would work if you dispensed with the boom jaw
          and used a gooseneck instead. In any event it will be quite a project.
          In my humble opinion any other rig-sailboard sails etc- would negate
          any reason to have a Bobcat. I have a set of drawings for Martha Jane.
          I think that arrangement could be the basis for a solution. I would
          suggest thinking of it as a hinge rather that the counterbalanced
          arrangement of MJ. No stays would be needed. It would not be a large
          chore to raise the Bobcat mast if it were hinged. The problem is
          lifting it, holding it up and dropping it through all those holes.
          Bob Chamberland

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <allaire@...> wrote:

          > I built a Bobcat catboat a few years ago. I built the mast as
          designed and it works fine. However, I am having a problem as I age.
          That is it is getting increasingly difficult for me to set the mast
          in the boat at the ramps I frequent. So, I'm trying to figure out a
          tabernacle type arrangement that will work without having too high an
          ugly factor. Here in the middle of Minnesota there is a dearth of
          knowledgable people to talk this over with.

          > O recognize that switching to an aluminum mast would solve the
          problem but I'd really like the mast to be a wood one. I have no
          problem adding stays and, if necessary, a bowsprit for a forestay.

          > I also know that if I add a bowsprit I'll end up wanting to add a
          sail up there.

          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jim

        • Bob Chamberland
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
            Is the tabernacle on this Chebacco part of the original design? If so
            could some kind person scan the tabernacle detail from the original
            drawings and post it. I would be very interested in this approach.

            Any change of this sort to the Bobcat rig will also involve removing
            spliced attachments.

            Bob Chamberland

            snip
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:
            > If you go here you will see an example of a tabernacle on a Chebacco
            > which looks pretty good to my eye. Some Pictures - David Nedder
            >
            > http://www.chebacco.com/articles/018/01/article.htm
            snip
          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
              > It is getting increasingly difficult for me to set the
              > mast in the boat at the ramps I frequent. So, I'm trying to figure
              > out a tabernacle type arrangement that will work without having too
              > high an ugly factor. Here in the middle of Minnesota there is a
              > dearth of knowledgable people to talk this over with.

              I would consider a tabernacle like the one on chebacco as suggested earlier, and I would even go so far as to add a small hydraulic jack -- set at an angle between the deck and the aft side of the mast -- for help in raising and lowering the mast if necessary.

              You will need to reinforce your deck (and possibly your mast) where the jack would push against them, but these types of jacks are really cheap for the 2 ton and 5 ton models, and probably either one would easily handle the work of rotating the mast in a tabernacle with minimal effort on your part.

              Even a small child could raise and lower the mast using a system like this, and if the jack is too ugly for you, just build and install the brackets that it would push against, but remove the jack and stow it when it's not actually being used.

              Kenneth Grome
              Bagacay Boat Works
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                Hi All,

                At this point I am thinking that I will be doing either a Chebecco type tabernacle, a hinge arrangement similar to that used on at least some Weekenders or a combination of both - that is a hinge fore and aft with side pieces like the Chebacco. In the last case the side pieces would be a part of the lower section of the mast that is then pinned through the upper section. The height of the boom above the deck works against using this last. Also, I will definitely keep the lower section of the mast to carry the weight rather than trying to beef up the foredeck to carry it.

                Whichever method I use the mast will be plugged and I'll plan on three stays but will start out with a forestay without a bowsprit. We'll see how it goes.

                Jim