Re: A family motor/sail cruiser?

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 56 , Apr 1, 2006
      I trust you have seen the pictures of the Tyson's Merlin that in the
      files section of Bolger3. This boat was built with some small
      alterations (lowering of the deck to give headroom, I think) that
      would be worthwhile to know about. I believe PCB approved. It would be
      a good design for pottering about, but not big enough, I think, for
      any cruising with your family.

      As to alternates, the Navigator version of Seabird comes to mind,
      especially if an outboard turns out to be better than an inboard. I do
      wonder if it's possible to obtain marine ply in a country where the
      market would be small. It's hard enough to get in some parts of the
      US. I'm sure it's best to see what technology the local craftsmen
      know, then tailor the design and construction plan to suit. My guess
      is that sawn frames and strip construction are more likely than bent
      frames and carvel planking, or ply planking.

      If you go to www.tantonyachts.com, and look toward the bottom of page
      6 of the gallery, you'll find pictures of his design #936 being built
      in Turkey. (Yes, I know Turkey is not Tunesia.) It seems to be striped
      with two layers of veneer.

      Peter
    • The Peillet-Long Family
      Message 56 of 56 , May 30, 2006
        Thanks for the tip, Bruce!

        If anyone else, like me, was a little confused by Bruce's links, here is a direct link to his
        Abbondanza 24 scans from MAIB:

        http://hallman.org/bolger/652/

        Those scans are exactly what Phil sent me, though of course the drawings that I received
        are clearer.

        As for the letter, this is what Phil wrote me, dated 5/13/06:

        "Dear Mr. Long,

        Thanks for yours of May 9. The enclosed study material is as close as we can come
        with an extant design to your wish list. With an awning over the cockpit and perhaps a
        longer helm shelter, it looks as though it might just do it if the costing works out. We can
        not undertake any modifications to it at this time.

        Plans of Abbondanza 24, our Design #652, are available for $300.00 to build one boat,
        sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.

        Sincerely,

        Phil Bolger"

        I am intrigued by the design, which might well fit our needs. The bulwarks and rails aft
        and high rails forward are appealing to me with three little kids to keep out of harm's way.
        I'll keep thinking, and follow up once I get to Tunis.

        Cheers all,

        Matthew