Re: Small mast alternatives

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
      I calculate that without a safety factor, and with a mast step that
      distributed the load properly, this tubing would be good for 500 to
      800 ft-lbs. But I could be too sleepy to do it right. So, one large
      strong person hiked out could probably break it.

      I own a crappy old boat with a mast around this size and yes, it bent!
      It's too bad because mostly I was impressed with the design. Sailed
      and rowed well considering that it really looks like a motor skiff.
      Lots of ability to carry sail, which is probably why the mast bent. Of
      course it probably doesn't actually plane all that well, but I'd be
      afraid to try because it's too beat up and old. If anyone in New
      Hampshire is up to making a straight mast section and beefing it up
      somehow, you might have a free boat waiting for you.

      Anyone ever hear of a "Puffer"? I'm aware of the AMF creation, and
      that's NOT the one I mean.

      It would be fun to have a light version with a stronger mast. I
      suppose I could use it as a mold.