Re: [bolger] Spray equipment for Latex?

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
      rent an airless power sprayer from your local rental center.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
        I sprayed lacquer finishes on musical instruments I built for 15 years. So I'm
        familiar with professional equipment.
        However, I found one of the less expensive Wagners work fairly well for latex. I
        first borrowed one from a neighbor then got one at a garage sale for $20 but I think
        they sell for about $60 to $100 bucks depending on features. I used the quart
        hopper, but it has feed tubes for larger jobs. After using a foam roller on my first
        boat, it was a pleasure spraying frames and bulkheads. It ain't devilbis but it
        ain't bad.
        Tip. One of the pains in the ass is all it takes to dismantle and clean the
        gizmo. I've found you can unscrew the spray head, rinse it and then place a piece of
        plastic (grocery bag type) over the nozzle and screw it back on. You can then leave
        it as long as overnight and still have it spray fine.
        David

        SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
        Feed someone.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
        Save a little rain forest.
        http://rainforest.care2.com/front.html/player12296

        Simplicity Boats (& mirror sites)
        http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/index.html
        http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/index.html
        Here's my latest boat:
        http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
        http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/featherwind.html
        Quasi esoteric musical instruments
        http://unicornstrings.com
      • Gordon Couger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
          > glen_gibson@... wrote:
          >
          > > While I'm not looking to build a showroom finish Micro, I'm also not too
          > > interested in one with brush marks or roller stipple on it, either. So
          I was
          > > wondering: Does anyone have any suggestions to low cost spray paint
          systems,
          > > such as Wagner Power Painters or low cost HVLP systems, either
          compressor driven
          > > or turbine driven? I'm planning on using good old exterior latex
          housepaint on
          > > my Micro. I can amortize the cost over some other planned home
          improvement
          > > projects ;-)

          Many paint stores rent good airless spray rigs if you buy the paint from
          them. Here
          it is 40 bucks a day. They are a lot better than the Wagner and other
          consumer
          spray guns. They do expect you to clean it up when you are done. If you are
          using
          water based paint that's not a big problem.

          Gordon

          Gordon Couger gcouger@...

          Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
          405 624-2855 GMT -6:00
        • Michael Surface
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2000
            I have a power painter and have used it on a lot of home projects. It works
            well with both oils and letex based paints and can give a nice finish if you
            are carefull. If you get to close, or move the sprayer too slow you can get
            runs. Sense a lot of the boats are painted in letex exterior house paints I
            can not see why this would not work. I have not used it on a boat but was
            thinking about it (boat is still in large sheets of plywood state :)

            Michael Surface