A family motor/sail cruiser?

  • The Peillet-Long Family
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 31, 2006
      Greetings, all!

      I've been away from this group for a long time, but some of you may
      remember me from the past or have seen my long-neglected web site
      <http://www.geocities.com/owlnmole> on building Brick and Yellow
      Leaf. Lincoln Ross, if you're out there, still have Tetard?

      In any case, my family and I are continuing our gypsy lifestyle with
      a move to Tunisia for three years this summer and I am thinking of
      tackling a modest family cruiser project, or perhaps having it built.

      We have three small children, ages 1-7, so I am looking for
      something large enough for safe (read hard to fall overboard) day
      trips and the occasional overnight adventure. Some could sleep
      under a tent for the overnight part, but I would want bunks for at
      least two people, a small galley and a chemical toilet.

      Performance needs are modest--straight motor or motor/sail
      auxiliary, probably a small diesel engine.

      My first thought is Bolger Marina Cruiser/Merlin design, with or
      without the auxiliary lug sail, but I'd love to hear other
      suggestions. Low cost and fast, easy building are critical, since
      who knows where our next assignment will take us.

      Thanks and regards to all,

      Matthew
    • The Peillet-Long Family
      Message 56 of 56 , May 30, 2006
        Thanks for the tip, Bruce!

        If anyone else, like me, was a little confused by Bruce's links, here is a direct link to his
        Abbondanza 24 scans from MAIB:

        http://hallman.org/bolger/652/

        Those scans are exactly what Phil sent me, though of course the drawings that I received
        are clearer.

        As for the letter, this is what Phil wrote me, dated 5/13/06:

        "Dear Mr. Long,

        Thanks for yours of May 9. The enclosed study material is as close as we can come
        with an extant design to your wish list. With an awning over the cockpit and perhaps a
        longer helm shelter, it looks as though it might just do it if the costing works out. We can
        not undertake any modifications to it at this time.

        Plans of Abbondanza 24, our Design #652, are available for $300.00 to build one boat,
        sent priority mail, rolled in a tube.

        Sincerely,

        Phil Bolger"

        I am intrigued by the design, which might well fit our needs. The bulwarks and rails aft
        and high rails forward are appealing to me with three little kids to keep out of harm's way.
        I'll keep thinking, and follow up once I get to Tunis.

        Cheers all,

        Matthew