RE: [bolger] Re: Wood for Birds'mouth spars

  • Paul Lefebvre
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
      Boy, this thread went places I never expected when I asked the original
      question!

      One final question along the latest line of discussion - I'm obviously going
      to have to scarf whatever staves I make, of whatever wood, to make a 26'
      mast. So my question is, should the scarfs be cut 'perpendicular' to the
      axis of the mast, or parallel (diagonal scarf lines showing, or just a
      horizontal line visible at the scarf)? I seem to remember reading somewhere
      that not only should they lay down, but they should 'point downward' like a
      shingle so water wouldn't run into the joint - not that that's likely to
      happen with a boat that will mostly sit on a trailer with the mast resting
      horizontally on braces on the garage wall...

      thanks for all the input and great discussion

      Paul L.