Re: Dovkie Straight Bottom Pointy Stern

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2006
      Birdwatcher is probably a better design for the purpose than Dovkie,
      and I think PCB says as much somewhere. That does not necessarily
      mean Dovkie is a bad boat. Dovkies are ageing. The one for sale is
      23 years old, and one in as good condition or better should be
      placed in the Bolger Museum of Art, wherever that may be (alas Nels,
      Minneapolis still too far). I wonder what treatment Bolger would
      give a design based on Birdwatcher for commercial production? How
      would it look? Bubbly? Bottom viewing panels?

      Is Dovkie at #292 the first PCB straight flat bottom pointy sterned
      design? Is Eeek! at #407 the next?

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
      <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      > David--Never mind your anticipated better performance. With a
      Birdwatcher, you can move from one end of the boat to the other
      without ducking under the boom gallows or crawling through the
      cabin. Raising and lowering the centerboard has got to be easier
      than wrestling with the Dovekie leeboards (which are hollow
      fiberglass--they float and have to be forced down, then they fill
      with water and are difficult to raise; and the ergonomics of the
      crank are all wrong for me). You can row a Birdwatcher with shorter
      oars than a Dovekie, and since the oars are mounted aft, you can
      come alongside a dock without fouling an oar. The down side is that
      on a Birdwatcher you have to sit on the bottom or a very low seat--
      comfortable enough until you have to move. Dovekies have the nicest
      seating in the cockpit of any boat I've ever found. Ain't nothin'
      perfect in every way.

      > John T

      Fred' posts
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com