Am I the only one???

  • Joe Del Monte
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006
      I just can't bring myself to put a plastic rod holder on my dory. I
      have spent so much time building an elegant rowing, fish catching
      machine that is seems like blasphemy to strap on a plastic eye sore.

      Here is my dilema. I am in the final stages of building a Welsford
      Seagull. For those who are not familar with this design, it's
      basically a dory skiff due to the lack of a true tombstone transom.
      Other than that, her lines are very dory.

      In a perfect world there would be a rod holder base that was
      bronze/brass that matched the other hardware. Would mount and look
      like another oarlock and recieve a rold holder that was adjustable to
      account for the dory flare.

      Have any of you folks come up with an elegant solution?

      Joe
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006
        Joe--I can think of several devices that might be called rod holders. If you are looking for something to hold a rod up while you troll, you can get brass tubing and fabricate a rod holder using one of the plastic rod holders as a pattern. If you are looking for something to hold the rod horizontal for storage, you can build some sort of vertical rack on the side of the boat and tie the rod(s) in place with light line.

        John T
        I just can't bring myself to put a plastic rod holder on my dory. I
        have spent so much time building an elegant rowing, fish catching
        machine that is seems like blasphemy to strap on a plastic eye sore.

        Here is my dilema. I am in the final stages of building a Welsford
        Seagull. For those who are not familar with this design, it's
        basically a dory skiff due to the lack of a true tombstone transom.
        Other than that, her lines are very dory.

        In a perfect world there would be a rod holder base that was
        bronze/brass that matched the other hardware. Would mount and look
        like another oarlock and recieve a rold holder that was adjustable to
        account for the dory flare.

        Have any of you folks come up with an elegant solution?

        Joe

        Bolger rules!!!

        Great outdoors

      • Joe Del Monte
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2006
          John,

          Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a holder to use while
          trolling. The brass tubing is a good idea. I have a series of
          holders mounted to an ice chest for general storage.

          Joe

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
          <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

          > Joe--I can think of several devices that might be called rod
          holders. If you are looking for something to hold a rod up while you
          troll, you can get brass tubing and fabricate a rod holder using one
          of the plastic rod holders as a pattern. If you are looking for
          something to hold the rod horizontal for storage, you can build some
          sort of vertical rack on the side of the boat and tie the rod(s) in
          place with light line.

          > John T

          Service.

          3/24/2006

        • Steve Silcox
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2006
            The best rod holder I've found is made by Driftmaster. Just google
            Driftmaster to find their websight. You can also get them from Cabelas
            online catalog at www.Cabelas.com. They have multiple styles of
            aluminum or stainless mounting bases as well as holders which hold the
            rod at various angles.

            Steve

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Del Monte" <bellinghamdory@...>
            wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a holder to use while
            > trolling. The brass tubing is a good idea. I have a series of
            > holders mounted to an ice chest for general storage.
            >
            > Joe
          • Joe Del Monte
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
              Steve,

              I have seen their products and seriously considered using a sidemount
              oarlock and have a 1/2" blank threaded to accept their 3/8" shaft. I
              like their looks, it is just I really want to be able to adjust it
              based on the type of fishing I am doing. Thanks for the reply.

              Joe