Re: wood for birdsmouth spars

  • bruce couchman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2006
      The problem we face is an understanding of what constitutes a "rated"
      structural member and an appearance grade member. Most of the time in
      this group I think that we are refering to relatively small
      (1X..)material. In the case of this discussion of birdsmouth spars the
      individual staves seem to be 3/4" maximum. I doubt that most 1x
      material is structurally rated. Most likely it will be appearance
      grade, and the finger joints will not provide anything approaching the
      strength of natural timber.

      Anyone contemplating the use of finger jointed material should
      consider doing their own testing of the joints. Get a length of the
      finger jointed material, rip it into strips an inch and a half wide
      and break it at the joint and then between the joints. If the break at
      the joint is close to 90% of the strength of that between the joints
      you can likely be confident of the finger joints strength.