Re: [bolger] regarding foam and aluminum

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2006
      In 1979 I build Bolgers Wolftrap a 30 ft aluminum Cat yawl. We sandblasted her inside and out, a horrible job but doable with a suit that has an outside air supply. We rented the suit from the same company we rented the air compressor from. We painted her with alodine as quickly as we could, working day and night over several days. We sprayed the inside with foam about one inch thick and then the boat was wooded out over top the foam for a warm and beautiful interior. I sold her about 1991 and talk with the present owner on rare occasions and have recently asked about the foam. He says it has held up well and none has peeled loose anyplace he can see. I don't remember what kind of foam we used but what ever it was I was warned that in case of fire it would produce poison gas.
      Doug