Re: Birdwatcher keel- Nels

  • oarmandt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
      I think that you will want the bigger board with the solent lug BW.
      The BW1 board was sized to go with the original leg o' mutton of 125
      square feet. The solent lug mainsails for the BW1 alternate rig and
      the BW2 are practically the same, 144 and 142 square feet, suggesting
      the bigger board. Whichever version of the jib that you use does not
      matter for the board decision. It is really best for reaching. When
      reaching, you do not need as much board. There is too much sag in the
      luff to carry even the small one to windward if there is any strength
      to the wind. Just hauling the jib halyard bends the mast noticably.

      Doug