Trailer and the Chebacco

  • dick@talkingcrow.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
      Is it true that you can figure out if your car/truck can pull your
      boat "nicely" by adding up the weight of the boat + trailer and the
      sum in lbs.? And this sum should equal or be less than the engine
      size of the pulling vehicle? For instance my trusty/rusty Mazda
      pickup truck has a 2000 engine (are those cc's or what?) so it be
      okay for pulling a Chebacco (wt. = 1200-1500 lbs. or so) + a
      trailer. True or false?

      And...what kind of trailer for the Chebacco? 2 wheels enough?

      Thoughts and guidance requested!

      Dick
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000

        > And...what kind of trailer for the Chebacco? 2 wheels enough?

        All trailers have a weight rating. Just be sure that it will hold the
        required amount. The hitch should be rated for the total weight of
        boat plus trailer.

        I trailed a Rhodes Mariner (19', 1300lbs) with a two wheel, no-brake
        trailer without problems. Currently, I have a two wheel trailer with
        surge brakes for my 2250lb Capri 22. For local towing it seems fine.

        The tow car is a bigger problem than the trailer.

        Peter
      • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
          Dick,
          Not really...it all comes down to total weight being pulled (don't excede
          the trailer's capacity with your boat weight)compared to what the owner's
          manual states as your vehicle's towing capacity. Rule of thumb I've always
          used is not to excede 50% of the vehicles weight. I would not recommend
          towing the Chebacco/trailer combo with a 2000 cc light-weight truck. At
          least install trailer brakes if you must use trusty/rusty.
          Jim